PDA

View Full Version : Supers rule!!!

Superman
March 18th 2003, 18:51
1302/1303 Super Beetle owners shout out your love, stand up and be counted. Our cars, the last design and most advanced in the evolution of the Beetle, absolutely rule.

[sorry Alex :( ]

Supa Ninja
March 18th 2003, 19:20
That's right! SupaBeetle4LIFE!

NYBugman1972
March 18th 2003, 20:59
Yay for struts!

zen
March 18th 2003, 22:41
thank god for the german look or supers wouldn't have a place, huh? :D

i have to admit, i have always hated the look of supers, but the GL changed my mind. they finally found a home and dare i say, in many cases look better than a standard. but i have a standard (well a very non-standard standard) and that is where all my money is. but when i am done, i will put mine up against any super or any other GL at that.

vujade
March 18th 2003, 22:44
unfortunately I have to agree with Zen.

I never even considered owning a Super before the German Look.
I was always into Ghia's & Type 3's mostly & a couple early beetles too.

Once I seen what you could do with a Super as far as the German Look goes, thats what made me want one.
This will probably be my only one though. Not because I dont
like it, but because I miss my Ghia's & T3's :o

Superman
March 18th 2003, 23:36
Originally posted by zen
thank god for the german look or supers wouldn't have a place

That statement may be reversed.

zen
March 19th 2003, 00:33
:D

d.justice
March 19th 2003, 01:02
superior technology compared with it's predecessors, thank god for irs:D :drunk:

Chris Percival
March 19th 2003, 04:46
I was into supers before I got into the German look, however the German look helped more people to realise and appreciate the supers fine qualities.

samcat
March 19th 2003, 05:39
Supers are Grrreeeat :)
When I bought mine the owner had tried to make it look sort of resto-cal/old school look... Didnt work :rolleyes:
German/euro/brit look are the greatest things to have happened, was not a fan of many of the styles and was kinda heading down the german look route before I even knew what it was!
Then I started seeing german/euro look bugs in volksworld and that was it, headed down the path of spending lots of money/time on the car :)

Many times I have considered selling up and getting a standard.... Mainly when the cars off the road with some problem or other. Once I have driven her again that all changes, just seeing peoples faces when you launch from the traffic lights is worth it alone.

Cya,
Sam C

Chris Percival
March 19th 2003, 05:57
Standards are a PITA compared to supers for working on. Just try changing a standard gearbox for example, what a palaver!

dgluyas
March 19th 2003, 07:30
I love supers !I have a late 75 with german ATS mags. The problem here in South Australia is that pre 71 cars you can heavily modify, that s what I have done with my german look 64 "Goliath". We can do turbos , big motors etc. Its a different case for my 1303.. you have to satisfy the regulations for a 75 car, emissions etc, so down under we have a bit of a problem ! If you pay an engineer a lot of money to approve it , you can do some things. So a 64 on an irs pan pre 1971 , and we are in luck. Dont we hate Aussie design rules !

cre8iv1
March 19th 2003, 10:39
I have always leaned more towards the supers...... probably because one was my first car, but when I finally got around to purchasing one to restore, i bought a 66 shell, but somehow I ended up deciding I wanted a super instead.....I love them and I know some people don't and that gives me more of a reason to make my super look bad ass...and watch all the super haters jaws drop!!!!

My 72 super vert, is in the body shop for the first stage of the transformation..... a few hints as things to come are:

- full time roadster (no top)
- 17" wheels front 18" wheels rear
- custom headlights
- custom tailights
- and alot of surprizes

it will be a look that borrows ideas from everywhere....hot rods, german look (big wheels and hopefully a type IV engine) and anywhere else that inspires me...

it will still feel like a super....and that is the best thing about it!!!

Steve C
March 20th 2003, 07:05
Hi dgluyas

I have always wanted to really do a 75 L up as a German Looker but as you say rego rules down under go against us. The way around wiink wink, a bit of Arfer Daily motors stuff, find a rusted out/written off 71 or 72 Super transfer the chassis or chassis number to your bug, now you have a 71 or 72 bug with a curved window.

Steve C

NO_H2O
March 21st 2003, 12:14
SUPER(ior) Beetle. :D

zen
March 21st 2003, 15:01
you forgot the "T". ;)

vujade
March 21st 2003, 15:58
Huh?:confused:

NO_H2O
March 21st 2003, 16:19
No "T" from me. :D

Superman
March 21st 2003, 20:31
The "T" he means stuper beetle. I looked it up in the dictionary...

Standard - Acceptable but of less than top quality
Super - One that surpasses another in quality

I'd rather own a Super anyday. I didn't make this post to start a debate but rather for only Super owners. However, it did cross my mind that it would happen.

Okay if our cars are Stuper Beetles then I will change my screen name from Superman to Stuperduck (Daffy Duck) :silly:

Supa Ninja
March 21st 2003, 20:53
...and I'll change mine to Stupa Ninja. Ha, ha...

zen
March 21st 2003, 21:02
:)

anyone who knows me (and i guess most here wouldn't) knows that is all very much tongue in cheek. i am about as open minded as they come and am a strong believer that everything has its place (including smack talk ;)).

i would be in my standard and a super right now if i hadn't decided that a/c was just way too important in my daily driver. hence the reason i am in a 944T now.

it's all good...but standards (non-pug nosed bugs) are better. :)

vujade
March 21st 2003, 23:17
well as with everything in life, as they make it better, they always take something away from it.

Look at Porsche, its new 996 is the most Technologically advanced 911 ever produced. But is doesnt have the same cool look as the classic 911. Dont get me wrong, I would own one if I could afford to. But I would still probably prefer the older 911's.

The same goes with Beetles.
I love the look of standard beetles, especially the 67.
But when it came to building a GL car, I decided on a Super
because they are superior where it counts.

NO_H2O
March 22nd 2003, 09:50
Well Joe, I will take a 930 thank you. As for a GL project I had 2 Standards and 1 Super(ior) I could have built a GL on and I went with the Super(ior) Beeltle. No "T" from me.:D

vujade
March 22nd 2003, 14:37
Ok, Ill take a 930 also :D

Superman
March 23rd 2003, 05:53
Originally posted by zen
anyone who knows me (and i guess most here wouldn't) knows that is all very much tongue in cheek

I'm glad I don't know you that well then, you wouldn't get that far with me. (tasteless joke)

Superman
March 23rd 2003, 05:56
If we're gonna talk Porsche, let's get serious!

zen
March 23rd 2003, 21:54
Originally posted by Superman
I'm glad I don't know you that well then, you wouldn't get that far with me. (tasteless joke)

i said "tounge"..."tounge"...as in mine, in my own cheek. and put me in a 993 Turbo anyday. or an abarth.

Wally
March 24th 2003, 05:32
Originally posted by zen
:)

i would be in my standard and a super right now if i hadn't decided that a/c was just way too important in my daily driver. hence the reason i am in a 944T now.

it's all good...but standards (non-pug nosed bugs) are better. :)

Zen,
I suppose with a/c you mean airconditioned and not air cooled, otherwise you wouldn't be in that 944 :-)

Considering you prefer a 944T over a standard: your 944T has a lot of parts in it, that are now in my Super hehe...so acually your just driving a super Super...how about that!

Walter

Wanzer74
March 30th 2003, 21:41
i love my supers, 74 and 71 but dont tell me that anyone would not like a standard split or oval. sweeeet

Superman
March 31st 2003, 00:22
I would not like a Standard Split or Oval.

Tim
March 31st 2003, 07:27
I like the a standard split or oval in original stock look only. I would not like a Super in stock look but german look or Kafer racing look Super is my favour.

Tim

Alex
March 31st 2003, 10:22
:crying: :crying: :reallysad :reallysad

Alex

Wanzer74
March 31st 2003, 17:05
i said dont tell me, jk. actually my 71 is going to be a oval!! best of both worlds.

Supa Ninja
March 31st 2003, 18:38
I'm Supa4Life, but if you are talking new Porsche's I would drive a 996 Turbo, old stuff I'd give my left teste for a 550 Spyder(if its good enough for James Dean to die in its good enough for me).
In the mean time my 14 is fun enough.

Nick

Superman
April 1st 2003, 01:06
I would rather a Super over an Oval by the same rational as I would want a 993 over 356, or a 2003 Corvette over a 1963 Corvette. I just don't like old stuff, that's just my taste.

And if I couldn't have the GTI motor in my Super with A/C and 951 brakes with 964 wheels then I probably wouldn't want a Bug at all.

dgluyas
April 1st 2003, 08:19
Supers are great , its a pitty they were not made for long. With the popularity of the German look you wonder if Volkswagen had developed a performance division , then where would we all be now? You may have been able to buy a factory produced car with Type 4 motor, big wheels etc. In the end we are all members of an elite group , super or standard what we do with our cars prolongs a piece of history !

vujade
April 1st 2003, 08:46
dgluyas... here here! I second what you said :D