PDA

View Full Version : RS America door pulls

NYBugman1972
March 18th 2003, 21:02
I am contemplating buying a pair of Porsche RS America door pull straps for use in my Super. I think it'll look pretty cool, but I want to know other people's opinions.

P.S. My new Scat/Procar interior arrived, so I'm a happy boy :)

zen
March 18th 2003, 22:30
what's up mike? i have been debating door pulls for quite a while. i am going to be using c/f door panels. And since i have a chop and normal height armrests don't work, i have been debating options. i have thought about empi pulls, 356 pulls (probably still where i am leaning the hardest), machining 356 hood handles, nylon straps (my second choice), etc, etc.

i assume RS pulls are nylon loops with a circular cover. is that correct? and pics? have you been thinking of anything i haven't? anyone else?

NYBugman1972
March 19th 2003, 07:54
Yeah, the RS Americas are nylon straps with a circle bezel.

http://www.rsamerica.net/images/index_images/doorpanel.jpg

Found a bunch of info on www.rsamerica.net It seems that the pull strap was a door release because of the cars extensive lightening. I don't have the patience to get it functioning, so it would be a nice interior accent.

We'll see...

Pillow
March 26th 2003, 16:43
That is a cool idea. The RS doors in 911s are super cool!

zen
April 17th 2003, 19:41
mike, don't know how this compares to another deals (since i have not researched any other), but i found this guy via ebay and here is what he offers:

RSA Straps/handles/Jacknuts/Screws/Tool

Item Quan Required Price Ea. Total
Bezels for handle 4 $6.00 24.00
Bezels for Strap 2 $6.00 12.00
Handles 2 $25.00 50.00
Straps 2 $5.00 10.00
Jacknut install tool 1 $2.00 2.00
Jacknuts 5mm 4 $1.25 5.00
Stainless Screw M5x16 4 $0.50 2.00
Steel Bolt M5x25 1 $0.25 0.25

Sub Total 105.25
Shipping 6.00
Total 111.25

You can reach him at appbiz@pacbell.net. don't know anything about him or his dealings yet. i will be buying at least the pulls. then have to figure out how to mount them without pulling the door panel off. :D

zen
May 2nd 2003, 13:38
update: talked to Bob today and ordered a pair of straps. i am also ordering a hardware kit that should allow me to tie these into the door release properly.

i talked to Bob quite a bit about the GL movement and what we do. he was talking about doing some VW specific hardware kits for his RS handles and pulls and its going to research door panels as well using vinyl and c/f look vinyl that Porsche uses. here (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33705&item=2412924929) is an example of that on one of his 911 panels.

he also recovers/rebuilds 911 seats in leather.

Supa Ninja
May 2nd 2003, 14:24
So let me get this straight. If I were say running some Carbon Joe C/F door panels I could use these RS America door straps instead of stock VW door handles as well as run no armrests for very clean door panel?

Nick

zen
May 2nd 2003, 15:24
that would be precisely my plan to a T. we will see if it really works. i will not know for several weeks though as my car is still at the paint shop.

at first i planned on just using it as a pull, but in talking to him it sounds like this kit will actually work. the amount of force required to trip the latch is my only concern. but as i have solenoids to pop my doors (no door handles) i will not have to use the release except in emergencies.

basically you just cut the release shaft, slip a collar on and a rubber sleeve he has built secure his latch and strap with a set screw and put the bezel on. that is the way he is explaining it anyway. he uses this kit to convert mid 70's 911 to the RS door panels.

Supa Ninja
May 2nd 2003, 15:29
Sweet!

NYBugman1972
May 3rd 2003, 09:59
Sounds pretty simple and very cool:cool:

If/when I get carbon fiber door panels, I'll investigate further into the pulls. Right now I just want to install my interior. I can't do that until I get my car re-clear coated (long story:mad: )

zen
May 6th 2003, 14:40
i got the pulls in today. very, very nice quality. as my car is at paint i will not be able to fit them yet, but i will take some pics and post them as soon as i get a chance (probably tonight). i am not sure how well the dampner is going to work due to its size and being for a 911 door, but we will see. the idea is right.

all done and said for the two pull straps, bezels, hardware and shipping it was $40. not bad at all.

kenfyoozed
December 1st 2003, 18:55
any new updates on the pulls?

neil

zen
January 28th 2004, 22:07
neil, never saw your post sorry.

i do have an update though, hence the reason i ran across this now. below is the modification i did. i put some bends in the rod to get it out where it needed to be at the right places. i failed to take a pic of the inside of the door panel. had to do some creative work behind the bezel to smooth the action where the nut for the nylon strap wants to come into the panel when pulling.
http://www.volksport.net/images/projpics/zen25.jpg

below is the mostly finished product. the door handle is temporary. seems i forgot to tell carbon joe not to cut those. so it is there to cover things up until i come up with a solution for the area. the RS pull is what opens the door. keep in mind i have a chop top that you just about sit on the floor of. that is why it is so low. perfect to pull the door closed though and for manual release when needed. i have push button releases for everyday use.

as for the handle area, thinking of a bracket to snap two-way radio on (for caravan use) and cell phone. just have to decide how to fill the space behind it.

i had to use billet window cranks when i would have preferred black. i have other billet in the car though so it works. the stock black don't allow the crank post to recess enough into the handle to lay flush against the panel. nice gap behind them (behind the stock door handles too). the billet ones where more flexible in that area.
http://www.volksport.net/images/projpics/zen24.jpg

NYBugman1972
January 29th 2004, 09:27
Now, that looks great :D Nice job. Good luck with finding a solution to the door pull problem.