PDA

View Full Version : finding a shop or shops

oasis
March 24th 2003, 12:02
Hi,

I have question which I am hoping I am posting to correct forum.

How do I find the correct shop or shops to go to for custom work?

Last weekend, I went to a shop which performs a lot of work on Type 1s and Type 2s. In the course of talking to them, they tried to talk me into wanting a 1776 Type I engine that they would build to meet my needs rather than installing the Type IV which I really want. They said a Type IV would require a lot of cutting and fabricating. In all of my reading on the Internet and the dozens of books I own, I have never seen that as being a necessity.

They also said converting a 1302 to rack and pinion steering would be nearly impossible. I printed and saved the thread from this forum on the subject for future reference and/or argument. (They have a supposedly rust-free 1302 minus fenders and engine for sale which I may consider.)

What really got my dander up was when they said later year Beetles were crap because they were Mexican built. Now, I may not know a Dellorto from a Kadron from a Weber, but I do know Mexican-built Beetles were never officially imported into the states. And I know Super Beetles -- tin-top and canvas-top -- were only made in Germany. And I know a friend of mine has a Type 181 made in Mexico which isn't crap. And I know my 2002 Cabrio which was made in Mexico has gone nearly 18,000 trouble-free miles. And I know a childhood friend who is the original owner of a 1979 1303 Cabrio which isn't crap.

Maybe this shop does good work their lack of historical knowledge notwithstanding. I don't know. It sure gives me pause, though.

Then there is the question on finding a good shop which will handle what I want with regards body, paint, interior, etc. Do I need to find a VW-specific place for that? And how do I find a good one?

Sorry about the rant (if you've gotten this far), but I am very anxious to get started, but I want to get going in the right direction. Boy, it's enough to make me want to become a do-it-yourselfer ... well, almost.

Thanks,
René

vujade
March 24th 2003, 12:21
it sounds like this shop is perpetuating the lies & BS that the Us VW magazines have done for the last 20 years.

Type 4's are not that hard to adapt to your Beetle. They are not a mystery. They have been using them forever in Europe. This shop probably has no experience with them and out of fear of the unknown is trying to talk you into what they have experience with, a 1776 Type 1.

As far as saying that late models are crap, this is more BS!
How can late models be crap, when they have better rear suspensions (IRS), better front suspensions on Standards (Ball Joint) & better front suspension on Supers (struts). Later models also had collapsable steering columms & late late model Supers had Rack & Pinion steering. So how are any of these things crap?

As far as finding reputable custom shops, keep asking here and elsewhere on the net from others in your area.

oasis
March 25th 2003, 09:13
Yeah, vujade, those were my thoughts. Your technical examples coincide with my anecdotal babble.

I live in Baltimore, Maryland. I would have no qualms in going to a shop anywhere in state or within five hours. I would consider a shop within 12 hours (New England to Florida and east of the Mississippi River), if necessary. (Anywhere else would be a one-time adventure.)

Thanks!

vujade
March 25th 2003, 10:12
well if you are going to travel, you should consider AirCooled Technology in Cleveland, Georgia. They specialize in T4's and are also one of the GermanLook.com sponsors.

kdanie
March 25th 2003, 13:01
Trying to find a shop that is willing to do something different can be difficult. You are on the right track, talk to any shop you might be interested in and eliminate the ones that don't think like you or try to change what you want. It's your car, make it what you want and the a shop can't or won't do it, move on and keep looking until you find one that will.
ken

oasis
March 25th 2003, 13:03
Oh, absolutely. When the time is right, I want to get in line for one of Jake's T4s. But, I also need reputable places for installations, customizations, etc.

-René

oasis
March 25th 2003, 13:15
Thanks, Ken, for confirming my beliefs. I just read your post. BTW, my long-time mechanic works on Super Beetles and Type 4s. It's just (a) he tried to steer me in a different direction, and (b) he doesn't do custom work. He may do the engine/tranny install; I haven't asked yet.

(Unbeknownst to him, he may have clinched my decision to go with a 1302/1303 with a T4 when he said he hesitated going on the interstates with his T1 powered '68. I know, I know. There is no reason not to go onto interstates with a standard Beetle -- but his reasoning counter-convinced me.)

Anyway, thanks again, everyone.

-René

kdanie
March 26th 2003, 01:49
Ha! I drive my '68 trash bug with a stock engine of unknown origin and size on the freeway every day at 70-75mph. It gets a little squirrely in a crosswind or behind a semi, but that just keeps it interesting..... It's amazing how many people mash the gas pedal when they are getting passed by a really ugly bug!!
ken

sickbugger
July 16th 2005, 00:13
As the title reads "Great shop w/ honest people" this shop holds to those lines.Its located on the southside of Atlanta. A short 15-20 minute drive.
the shop name is Imported Auto Service. Their specialty is air-cooled, no water-boxers.The web address is IASBUGSHOP.COM.

oasis
July 18th 2005, 08:42
Over two years between posts. :eek: Gotta be a record. (Original post is so old, I was using my middle name to sign. :o )

Ironically enough, I dredged a similar topic of mine on another forum. The timing may be good.

(BTW, yesterday was the one-year anniversary of me buying The Shantung Cruiser. :D )