PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox noise. Last T1 IRS

MattKab
March 24th 2003, 18:40
Time is near to rebuild my trans. I've long wanted to fit a Porsche5 but I'm now tempted to fit a Quaiffe for the ~same cost with T2 CV output flanges. My trans is a AT prefixed '79 single side-plate 3.88 that works perfectly and the ratio's are sweet on the motorway compared to the 12/13 but the bearings are starting to get a bit noisey. Worst in second. I don't suspect the diff. Am I right in thinking It's the main shaft bearing that can be seen when the nose cone is removed?

Will the Quaiffe fit my trans?

I can't find ANY info about my type of trans! It looks awesome next to an earlier IRS. Can any one help?

Does it have a particular name?

I'm keen to rebuild it to a more functional spec', that's what it's all about in't it :)

Matt

Chris Percival
March 25th 2003, 06:06
It doesn't really have a particular name, as you described it is just right. I believe Quafe make a diff for the IRS trans, and should fit. A quick call to the Cogbox will give you all the info you need.

Is the noise from the box when you back off in second? My type 4 gearbox does that also..

Chris

MattKab
March 25th 2003, 16:35
That's the noise yes. It's loudest when backing off in reverse :(

Are transaxles as rebuildable as engines with respect to parts availablity?

Sebring
May 19th 2003, 13:30
Reverse is loud becuse the gears are straght cut. allmost alll cars whine in reverse.

MattKab
May 20th 2003, 14:10
:)