PDA

View Full Version : You guys are crazy and dangerous

Superman
March 27th 2003, 00:49
In light of all these "homemade adapter parts", "I put 944 springs on my Super", "use a pipe spacer for the balljoint", "I don't need the e-brake" type posts I just wanted to say that modifications need to be done with more insight especially when dealing with suspension and brakes.

NYBugman1972
March 27th 2003, 11:09
I totally agree with Supe' on this one. I know that before I do anything on my car, I research as much as possible before I turn a wrench or put a cut into something. Why should I take a chance on my car's performance, or more importantly my saftey.

I'd rather spend a year researching and do the right job than dive in and do something that was potentially dangerous to my car or myself or my passengers.

lightning bug
March 27th 2003, 11:24
How true, how true.

Alex
March 27th 2003, 12:51
AMEN!

I think one of the major problems is that the average ACVW tuner is a cheap one. They want everything and can not wait....therefore somehing will suffer or a cheap solution will do the trick.
The GermanLook is not a cheap style at all. Please be aware of this and try to get parts that were certified (TUV) or tested and used many times without failing. When you machine parts for suspension and brakes and have doubts of the strength after do not do it until research was done on what can happen is the parts fails or if the parts is still strong enough in it machined state.

Alex

Pillow
March 27th 2003, 16:12
Exactly! The GL scene is difficult in some ways as it is very custom and take time and $ to do right... Which is good and bad. If done right the results are fabulous! But if people skimp and start doing halfass work then it is downright dangerous.

Then again there are a lot of crapped out Cal-Lookers doing insane cheap stuff that I cannot believe even stay on the road.

It is sad sometimes when I think of the $ it has taken to hardly get anywhere on my bus. But at the same time the improvements are just awesome when done.

Still GL rocks!

chigger
March 31st 2003, 22:16
Agreed! There are several mods I have done which I won't post since they are not for novices. Even some ideas I won't post since they could be dangerous if not well thought out. It is not that I would not like to help out, but if they have to ask what is a pair of vise grips, they are not ready to tackle a total brake mod.

mabus013
April 11th 2003, 19:40
Good post. I thought it was just some onlooker (or even Cal Looker :D ) bitching about making these 'little, rickety tin cans' go fast. I had a lot of people tell me I was nuts to wanna go fast in a bug, that it was a death trap. They probably just rode with me in my poor *** '72 - clapped out suspension, chopped springs, leaking brakes and gas line. I was too poor to even think about tearing it out to rebuild it all - it was my daily driver, and for a little while, my home (not as crazy as it sounds if you've ever moved to LA to act or play music ;) ). Never again though - I'm tired of shlepping around in some beater with visions of glory in my head, trying not to break down/crash/blow up on the way home...

With that in mind, you might want to check out my new post, 'Leaving German Look behind, but not air-cooled'

-<M13>-