PDA

View Full Version : NorthvsSouth Shootout 2003

NO_H2O
April 7th 2003, 12:20
Well my car mad it's first show at NvsS in Darlington SC. It was a great show, sunny and warm untill about 3:00pm whan it started to rain and cut the drag racing short. The swap meet was OK and I did find heater hose that is very hard to find(takes heated air to the air box). I saw so other GL(type) cars and talked to other paople that had GL projects in work. I gave all of them a card and had one on display on my windsheild. My car did take 68 and up custom and drew a lot of people asking questions and taking pix. I already posted about the 5 hr trip in the rain with no wipers in a prev. post. I will post a few pix from the show now. First up a red GL or Euro Look. You be the judge.

NO_H2O
April 7th 2003, 12:24
Next is a sweet yellow Ghia. This car was parked behind me, a man and his daughter here showing it and i gave the card to his daughter and talked to her, I never did see the father untill we pasted them on the way to I-20 when we exchanged thums up.

NO_H2O
April 7th 2003, 12:30
Next is a cream bug with CF bumpers/brackets and running boards from CSP and 2L Fuchs. It had a 2.2L EFI engine and was running 8's in the 1/8 mile, one of the better street class car there. It is a great sleeper, it ran very quiet and had a subdued look. Check it out. All these people seemed interested, as did the others that had projects in work.

Viva-Das-GL

NO_H2O
April 7th 2003, 12:36
And here is mine.:D

NO_H2O
April 7th 2003, 12:37
and rear :rolleyes:

vujade
April 7th 2003, 14:40
nice pics....:)

hopefully we will get some new members over the next coming months with all the shows coming up.

Victor H
April 7th 2003, 20:27
Thanks for the nice comments. Mine is the "cream car." Had a great time meeting a bunch of nice people and enjoying the hard work everyone has put into their cars.
I think Scott Sturgis and I showed that you can run high HP cars at the track and drive them home again without incident.

NO_H2O
April 7th 2003, 21:12
Good to see you here(read you). Too bad the rest of the day got rained out. I could not remember your last time but i thought you broke 8's, I could be wrong. But all the BK boys where there and all were impressed with the sleeper look and sound of your car and the time you posted. It was my sons first time to see drag racing live, he loved it. Glad you found this site and our forum.

vujade
April 8th 2003, 07:31
Victor, welcome to the German Look Forums :)

Dont forget to check out VolkSport Käfer Gruppe (www.volksport.net)

zen
April 8th 2003, 08:29
hey victor. dave had some really nice things to say about your car. hoping i will have mine done for Taccoa, but not holding my breath. glad you made it over here. lotsa info running around here. hope to see you in the VKG.

chigger
April 9th 2003, 01:28
Great pics! I wanted to go , but I got the tractor stuck. Nice looking cars.

Victor H
April 9th 2003, 19:26
Thanks for the compliments guys. My best time was 8.89 sec with speed of 80.45 MPH. Not sure what the true potential of the car is. Would hope that maybe could hit the mid 8s with a bit more track time.

Car weight is an issue too. I weighed it on a truck scale with the stock motor and it weighed 1775 lbs. The FI motor is quite a bit heavier (deep sump, 7 quarts oil, cooler, coils pack, big muffler etc all adds up) plus I finished the interior in the meantime. I might be over 1900 pounds now. Even with 200 horses that a bit of weight to haul around.

Anyway, I had a great time and really enjoyed meeting all of you. I think VW people are the best. I have a restored 1961 (all stock) that's even nicer than the '69 but still needs a bit more finishing. I still have that stock motor, maybe I'll run that at the next race.

70 ghia
April 10th 2003, 20:33
im the one driving the yellow 70 ghia that you took the picture of you talked to my daughter sorry i didnt get to meet you . i saw your car and thought it was killer. we all thought it was a great show and i took show winner in ghia mild custom. Ive got the VKG CARD THAT you gave to my daughter and checked it out was surprised to see a pic of my car , how cool is that, any way later on hope to see yall at the shows sometime , 70 GHIA.

NO_H2O
April 11th 2003, 08:26
Good to see you found us. Your Ghia is sweet. I saw you leaving the show, Past you on the way to I-20. Saw you had the german license plate on the back, did you forget to swap it back to the state plate or can you run like that? I was all over the show, sorry I didn't get to meet you. It was a great show, I did get 68 up custom show winner too. We are a german look club for the Southeast and are just getting cranked up. The next show I will be going to is Bug-A-Palooza.

70 ghia
April 11th 2003, 09:31
I think the thing with the jackets is a very cool idea , but what do yall think about some really sharp looking VKG GERMAN grill badges for club members would be like/// there are some company,s in germany that make them up thats pretty reasonable, , 70 ghia

NO_H2O
April 11th 2003, 17:14
That sounds cool, I don't know where I would put it on my car but I do like them. I did so much shaving to my car I hated to put a license plate on it. What kind of seats did you put in the Ghia? Mine are just over stuffed stock frames, after a 5+ hour drive I wished I hade something different. They were better than my other bugs but still no quite there.:rolleyes:

zen
April 11th 2003, 17:43
i agree. i love badges, but space is VERY limited. classier than just a sticker though. i guess there is always the air grills with the right mounting mech.

NO_H2O
April 11th 2003, 18:02
Your right, it dose have more style than a sticker.

NO_H2O
April 13th 2003, 23:39
Well I found out why my engine was smokeing and I had a lot of crankcase pressure. I pulled the engine and tore down the top end. I found that I had too much end gap on the rings, thought that I was sent the wrong rings(ordered 85.5 rings) but the 6" caliper showed that the piston/cylinders I used on it where 87mm. I had a 1641 and didn't even know it. Now I hope I can find a set of rings for 87's tomorrow and I will been running before dark. that is what you get when you are in a hurry and don't set the end gap on the rings.:o

zen
April 14th 2003, 08:05
lol. take your time this time then. :D

nothing like found HP for free huh?

NO_H2O
April 14th 2003, 23:13
Well I had to search for the right rings but I found some at Impart in Mableton. Finished it up about 1 1/2 hours ago. Fired it up and took it out for a spin. I was able to get a small burnout out of it and bark the tires in 2nd, best part, no smoke. I will sync the carbs, check the valve adjustment and timeing tomorrow.:D