PDA

View Full Version : Swap IRS arms side to side?

airwerks
August 17th 2002, 21:09
I heard somewhere that if you switch arms left to right that you can dial some negative camber out??? Any one tried this, and if so, how many deg. did you gain? Obviously going to have to cut and reweld brackets.

vujade
August 18th 2002, 00:23
I have not done this myself, but I know of some who have. I believe there is 2 to 2.5 degrees negative camber built into IRS trailing arms.

Michael Ghia
August 23rd 2002, 02:51
Yes I've done it and no I wouldn't do it again.

I ran swapped IRS arms on my Oval and had to have the car absolutley on the floor (bottoming out shocks etc) to have 1/4 degree - camber.

You also run into difficulties with the tracking of the rear suspension as it puts the whole lot into toe out big time. I never really got rid of the toe out at the back which makes a nervous car at speed (erm...110mph on a race track occifer!).

It looks a lot better than running 2 - camber but it doesn't handle as well. It was only for the looks that I did it... I'd run the camber and have it go around corners more :)

Have a look at my car at http://www.performanceghia.com

Mike Ghia

piledriver
September 19th 2002, 23:14
Doesn't anyone make an adjustable inner setup for the 924/944?

Seems like one or two folks might race those, and like some adjustment...

Michael Ghia
September 20th 2002, 02:24
Porsche used adjustable inner mounts on the 935 but that was the only car I've ever seen them used. You can buy aftermarket kits to weld in to do the same.
You can get some adjustability of camber on IRS just by loosening the 3 bolts and moving the arm up or down in relation to the spring plate.
MG

bren
September 20th 2002, 07:39
just an FYI mike, keiths putting stock arms on your old pan.. when raised to the desired height it had too much positive camber..

you wont recognise it when its finished.. think detail! its gonna be a way clean car!