PDA

View Full Version : should i do no headliner?

super vw
April 25th 2003, 20:29
i plan on using my 74 super as a Solo-2 car and was thinking about gutting the things that are not needed. my headliner is not so great looking and i dont think it would be to fun to unstal a new one (from what i have heard) so do you guys think i should take it out and repaint up there?
what are the drawbacks to doing this?

later
Jonathan:)

zen
April 25th 2003, 22:55
if you are racing, the only question is "does it make you go any faster?" ditch it.

vujade
April 26th 2003, 08:19
I say ditch it!

I will probably be doing this also to my car.
I want to make it as minimal as possible in the interior.

1302super
April 27th 2003, 11:53
howdy all:)

im currently working my way through my 02 and would like to get rid of the headliner

are there any down sides to this????

its gonna be my daily drive

thanks muchos

NYBugman1972
April 27th 2003, 17:02
Ditch it.

super vw
April 27th 2003, 18:29
so whats the best way to get the glue off the top? i dont want to repaint it, but if i have to i guess i could just sand it down?

bren
April 28th 2003, 07:19
Originally posted by 1302super
are there any down sides to this????

extra noise..

if its a full liner, there will be sharp tabs around the door frame that will need removing with a grinder and a full paint will be needed inside the car..

Rob
April 28th 2003, 09:26
I'm getting rid of mine as well (also going to use the car for solo2).
However, I did decide to put the doorpanels back, becase it looks really crappy without them :rolleyes:

I looked at those 'theeth' (after I ripped my hands open on them several times), I was actually thinking about getting some rubber strip or something to cover them..

Rob.

jhelgesen
April 28th 2003, 09:36
Let me send you some pics of the mexican headliner in my 74. Just a rectangle snapped in the top of the roof, no glue, just the bows, no padding in mine either. Very light and really cleans up the roof. Local upolstery shop modified a stock headliner for me for $45, had it installed in 30 minutes.

vujade
April 28th 2003, 09:38
I am sure if you go to an Auto Paint Supply store, they should be able to sell you something to remove glue from the ceiling of the car.

I will be looking into this shortly and let you know if I come up with anything that works good.

oasis
April 29th 2003, 10:12
If you guys are going the minimalist route by not using a headliner, do you guys also not have a radio? (I understand the racers won't have one.) My curiosity stems from the position that if I do get a radio, I will probably want to install a roof antenna like the current VWs. I suppose I still wouldn't need a headliner in this case. This is a detail I'm a long way from needing to make a decision, but since you guys brought it up....

-René

Supa Ninja
April 29th 2003, 10:19
I'm tossing my headliner, as for the stereo someone else decided they wanted it more than me, and I'm going to remove my fubu antenna soon. I want to run C/F door panels.

Nick

vujade
April 29th 2003, 10:20
I am doing a radio and concealing the speakers un the battery area where my rear seat used to be.

GUTTERS
April 29th 2003, 16:55
i only have the centre section roof lining in my 1300 base model. i was going to remove it but i did a deal with brian on here who works at a porsche dealer ship in the netherlands and got a genuine porsche dealer flag (one of the big un's :D ) and i am going to have the porsche crest which is the same size as the roof liner in my bug made in to a roof liner, which i think will look well cool.:cool:

zen
April 29th 2003, 18:06
i had planned to go with a carbon fiber headliner (for looks, not weight), but decided a ragtop was more important. as fast as i want to make my car, some creature comforts are a must. the noise level has to be tolerable. i must be comfortable (not cadillac type comfortable, just not nothing but my seat in the car comfortable). and i must have tunes. as a musician there is not even a chance i would do without. the extra weight is worth it for the application i have for the car.

you need to be clear with yourself about what you plan to use your car for. it makes most of the decisions itself from there.

WipEout
May 7th 2003, 19:07
You could ditch it and chalk it up to racing needs, but is a headliner really that heavy? When I tore my old one out to paint my car, I couldn't honestly tell you it weighed more than a few pounds, and that seems sort of excessive. That would only equal, like, a couple-hudredths of a second on a track, right? Once I install my new headliner, I'm gonna insulate the hell outta my roof and doors and such, since I will have a stereo system in there and no heating system. But like Zen said, you need to look at your application and let that make the majority of the decision. If it's a race car only but you want it to look good still (and who doesn't?) then clean out the roof area, liner, glue, and all. Otherwise, I would get a new liner, at least.

DAVID MANN

It's been a while, eh?

super vw
May 7th 2003, 19:36
ya i know its a little exccesive as far as weight goes, but its more of a cost issue than weight for me. It would cost more to buy a new headliner and have it instaled (im not good that that kinda thing) than to just spray it with paint or MAYBE truck bed liner stuff like line-x. it might even look cool with that line-x stuff to?
one of my dads friends sprayed that kinda stuff in the rear passeneger area of his 76 911(wide body) and it looks clean...

chigger
May 8th 2003, 00:43
I think the Euro cars or standards only had a headliner only in the middle of the roof between the humps along the edges. The deluxes or most of the American cars had the headliner all the way across an down the pillars. The high tech stick on insulation with a light headliner cover only in the middle would be nice to keep some summer heat out, give a finished appearance, help the sound system from reflecting off the roof, and still be light weight.

Jeza
May 13th 2003, 19:14
No headliner is unbelievably noisey!!

Unless you drive your car as a weekend warrior only or race it I'd keep at least the centre section, and make it fabric. The idea is to stop the noise bouncing around, so carbon wont help with this, you need something soft, not hard.

jhelgesen do you have pic's of your headliner. This is what I wish to do, centre section only.

As for the metal clips on the door frame that used to hold the liner, I've covered them with some rubber strip (has a U cross section shape to it) as Rob mentioned, it looks really good.

Jeremy

MattKab
May 15th 2003, 18:19
How ugly would my Kab look with no headliner? I'm too old (28) to worry about weightloss :o

I transfered a 'postage stamp' headliner to my export deluxe Baja, no problem, you'll really feel the blood flow suffer in your finger tips when removing/installing, if you can find one!

TMI?