PDA

View Full Version : small budget 5-speed

juse
May 2nd 2003, 00:39
Is there any cheaper way getting a 5-speed tranny into a Super than the Gene Berg or Porsche-box?
Both of them are far out of my budget, mainly because of their rareness here up north..
Has anyone tried out an Audi or Renault unit as their setup is similar to the rear-engined Beetle? Or would this be too difficult way to get the "missing" 5th gear?

Justin

juse
May 3rd 2003, 19:48
I didnt mean that Audi or Renault were rear-engined. But as they have a drivetrain that is mounted longitudinally, could it be possible to attach one backwards into a Beetle?

Justin

Superman
May 3rd 2003, 19:54
Yea but then there would be 5 reverse gears and 1 forward :silly:

I think we're pretty much stuck with the Berg5 or Porsche trans.

juse
May 3rd 2003, 22:28
I`m not sure if this can be done, but I have heard that you can flip the ring and pinion on some boxes to make it run right in a rear-engined car.
Gearboxes are my weak point, does anyone know about this?

Justin

Superman
May 3rd 2003, 23:15
Yes that is true but there aren't many trannys like that. The reason is the gearbox has to be made with dual sideplates so the R&P can be flipped. The VW box was made like this to work with reduction boxes in the early Bus. In fact, VW stopped making the double sided tranny in 1972 for the aircooled. I too am not so informed on what all is out there so who knows.