PDA

View Full Version : rust reapair near rear vents (half moons)

super vw
May 3rd 2003, 23:06
Im just about to get started on repairing the rust holes around the lower rear window and rear vents (half moon things) and wanted to ask if you guys have any tips or things i should watch out for when replacing the panels in this area.
If you look at the pics you can see that one side it not doing so great, how much of that area should i cut out? should/ can i leave the gutter in place? Or do i have to cut the whole section out arund the rust? i have a donnor 72 super that im getting the metal from. And im using a Hobart 135 MIG welder with .23 solid wire and 25/75 Co2/Argon mix.

so any advice, tips...ect would would be cool. considering im a novice at welding and body work. but i have already welded in floor pans on my 74 super so im not a compleate newbie.

Thanks!
Jonathan:)

super vw
May 3rd 2003, 23:12
another pic of the same side, but this hole is closer tords the front and more near the vents.

this pic is simmilar to what the drivers side looks like, not to major unlike the pass side...

Alex
May 4th 2003, 07:06
Here is what I would do:

Cut out the metal and replace it. If you cut it make sure you clean as much of the rust inside as possible to prevent new holes from coming up.

One thing I have to say though......I can ot weld. I make bigger holes than closing them. So please take this advice with caution.

Once it is fixed and covered with paint oil the inside as much as possible to stop any further rust.

Alex

super vw
May 4th 2003, 13:53
should i cut out the gutter with it aswell?

Alex
May 4th 2003, 14:10
Not sure.....

Maybe someone else can answer that.

Alex

super vw
May 4th 2003, 14:12
ya, ok... i need all the help i can get becuase i DONT want to screw up my body :S

thanks!

oasis
May 5th 2003, 11:36
This is a subject for which I have no expertise at all. However, Keith Seume has a book about Custom VWs. In it, there are chapters on Cal-Look, German Look (which French Look is lumped together with it), etc.

One of the early chapters describes what to look for in buying a Beetle or Super Beetle -- including all of the potential rust issues. Not only does it include what to look for, but what is the probable root of each particular evil.

I will try to look it up tonight. This info may be useful as to prevent this from happening again even if you are successful at cutting all of the rust out and prepping the finished product correctly.

-René

super vw
May 5th 2003, 12:10
That would be great Rene!:)

bren
May 6th 2003, 11:26
best bet is to gradually cut out the rust until you have just solid metal left.. when my girlfriend had her bug done, we were left with this:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid7/p996b603b45304d45122c4bd04f6488e4/fe2eda1a.jpg
luckily it didnt have the crescent vents, so the quarter panel was fine.. the reason your quarters have rotted is because moisture gets into the vent and held there by the factory expanding foam that is squirted into the cavity when theyre made. expect your quarter to be rotten way down to the wheelarch area.. consider fitting a pair of full rear quarters if the bumper and body mounts are bad and the lower front end of the quarters are crusty too. you'll end up with a much better finished car.

anyway.. we sourced a pair of good gutter end sections from a scrap car and welded them into my g/f's bug.. after paint was laid on the only tell-tales are the weld seams in the top corners of the engine bay (grinder wouldnt fit in there!)
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid7/p1ae210e0d38759b66ff4ab574b7f810c/fe2ed9fc.jpg

oasis
May 7th 2003, 16:18
There is not the direct reference in Keith Seume's book as I thought there was. Maybe I was geezing ... maybe I'm remembering a magazine article that I now can't find ... maybe I spliced Seume's chapter with a '75 I was looking at.

It seems that if rust forms along the gutters, it can have a field day throughout the two layers of metal. Apparently, cars which had roof racks at one time are especially prone. In any case, make sure the entire gutter is checked.

It looks like bren's post is significantly useful. In the meantime, I will check the rest of my magazines. It seems as if I remember a picture as well.

-René

super vw
May 7th 2003, 19:39
thanks alot Bren.

Any more info...ect is TOTALY welcome :D

Racelook
June 23rd 2003, 18:58
Jonathan...
Everything is made by now???

I'm with the same rust, but then only more.
So I have the hole corner of platework cut out of a nother body en i'm now welding it in..

The platework is for my verry hard work.. It is de corner where comes the three plates together. (one from the motor en 2 from de outside, where bren also cuts out his piece) But everything comes good to the end.
I hope!!!!

I also have this on both sides :mad:

But when this is done the nicer work wil start...

Greatz Wiebrand