PDA

View Full Version : Making molds

jhelgesen
May 5th 2003, 22:20
What kind of materials do you guys use for making molds from scratch. Figure I should mock my part up in wood and bondo, then make the mold from that?

Carbon Joe
May 6th 2003, 00:37
Originally posted by jhelgesen
Figure I should mock my part up in wood and bondo, then make the mold from that? Don't forget the elbow grease.

jhelgesen
May 6th 2003, 07:23
Originally posted by Carbon Joe
Don't forget the elbow grease.

Thats the main ingrediant isn't it? :)

Carbon Joe
May 6th 2003, 09:08
What is it that you want to make?

jhelgesen
May 6th 2003, 09:44
Joe,

We've been discussing making a 1302 speedster on the vkg board. I'm looking at making the rear cover to replace the convertible top. Either painted or CF. I posted some pictures there:

http://www.germanlook.com/Forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2074

vujade
May 6th 2003, 09:55
I would get rid of the back seat completely and make the speedster cover go all the way to the back of the front seats :)

jhelgesen
May 6th 2003, 10:02
Originally posted by vujade
I would get rid of the back seat completely and make the speedster cover go all the way to the back of the front seats :)

I would, but I'd have two pi$$ed off kids if they didn't get to ride in the car.

Isn't that what a Wizard looks like, I've seen them in my Volksworlds.

zen
May 6th 2003, 10:26
just make the headrest part out of plexi so they can see out :silly:

i was thinking the same thing on the cover, but figured you wanted to be able to put the kids back there. plus i kind of like the way you have mocked it up so far. it keeps it away from that wizard look. wizards are fine, but i suspect you would buy one if you wanted that look.

Aurumen
May 6th 2003, 17:02
I dunno if this will help you...but i made a few very large molds when i was in school. What i used was large blocks of that pink styrafoam insulation stuff you find at a home improvement store. The reason we used this is because it's easy to cut and mold with a hot wire (car battery hooked up to a wire that's held tight). Any styrafoam would work, I guess, but we got the pink stuff free and we knew it cut well. We glued it between cross sections and then cut between the cross sections with the hot wire. Then you can cover it with any body filler to smoothe it out.

Nick

Carbon Joe
May 7th 2003, 09:18
I like the idea of the cover for the top but, I would keep it small, I wouldn't go to far forward with it. Zen, I have a snap on vinyl tonneau, I love it, I get allot of looks with it on. Back to the mold making, you might want to try getting some blocks of closed sell low density foam, it's very easy to cut and shape.