PDA

View Full Version : carbon fiber lids

oasis
May 7th 2003, 16:23
Hi,

Does anybody have a carbon fiber trunk lid or engine lid? If so, do you do anything to secure it since the c/f units I have seen do not seem to use a lock. Also, how easy is taking it off and putting it on since they do not use the car's hinges?

Thanks,
René

super vw
May 7th 2003, 19:44
I think www.aircooled.net has some lids that are made from Remmele.
mounting them should not be to hard with a body pin type of mounting, like on race cars (and some Rice rockets).

-Jonathan

zen
May 7th 2003, 21:25
Carbon Joe has one in the works for early and late.

Carbon Joe
May 8th 2003, 01:22
Zen's right I'm putting the finishing touches on the mold for my first C/F decklid. It will be an exact replica of a stock lid, using the stock hinges and a stock latch. I hope to make my first one some time next week.

oasis
May 8th 2003, 06:22
Using stock hinges and latches would be my preference. Just out of curiosity, will it have vents? Also, will there be a front boot lid in the works at some point using stock hinges and latches as well?

Carbon Joe
May 8th 2003, 09:27
Yes they will be available with or without vents, I also hope to be making hoods some time in the near future as well.

primexr1
July 2nd 2005, 19:51
www.aircooledinnovations.com has a decklid that mounts with stock oe hinges and looks and fits great. check it out!!!

tom'72
July 3rd 2005, 07:06
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/4/web/844000-844999/844382_26_full.jpg
got mine from ebay Australia, it's only the shell so no hinges. Had to fab up some mounts and use Sparco hood release pins now.

zen
July 3rd 2005, 10:04
tom, would like to see more pics of the mounts. i have one of Carbon Joe's decklids without hinges and will eventually get it painted and mount it. right now i am running a modified stock lid. i assumed i would be running two pins at the top and one or two at the bottom. still have to figure out where i want them mounted.

tom'72
July 3rd 2005, 14:17
I'll take some pics when I get the digicam back tomorrow Zen, it's just 2 90 degree brackets with a long pin in each one. Dont have a bottom mount at the moment but will be making one later on.

Troy_Audio
July 6th 2005, 15:49
you guys see this 1?
quite kool..

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=168025

oasis
July 7th 2005, 11:46
I've seen his ads before. If I ever move to Hawaii ... perfect! :D

Troy_Audio
July 7th 2005, 13:29
yeah.. tobad he dont ship eh..
peacce Troy

oicdn
July 7th 2005, 15:18
If he doesn't ship, you can schedule UPS (or DHL...I dunno if FedEx or other carriers do) to come to his house for no additional charge for a pick-up. All you have to do is prepay the shipping, and they'll come by and do a pick-up.

I've done it a couple times with people who won't ship stuff... :agree:

oasis
July 7th 2005, 17:26
Will UPS or DHL box it and weigh it, then contact you so you know how much to prepay?

primexr1
July 14th 2005, 00:02
www.aircooledinnovations.com

oicdn
July 14th 2005, 11:50
Will UPS or DHL box it and weigh it, then contact you so you know how much to prepay?

Yeah, you have to get all the dimensions from him 1st. You'll get charged extra for the boxing, but oh well.

Also, what you can do, I've had people do it to me. If you have a UPS or DHL account, or know somebody that does, Print out a label and ship the empty box to him with the label inside and tell him shipping label is already in it, just slap it on and drop it off at a UPS store or have UPS come get it....

That route is good cause the weight and cost gets deducted from the account, and then you can pay back your friend the correct amount. Also, you'll get a better rate cause he holds an account, depending on how much he ships....

oasis
July 18th 2005, 08:18
Good info. :agree:

primexr1
August 2nd 2005, 23:21
Carbon Fiber Decklid fits 58-66 and comes with O.E. VW hinges. Has an excellent fit and finish. $295 shipped in U.S.
pics at www.aircooledinnovations.com

in for sale section