PDA

View Full Version : Anybody used whiteline swaybars ?

hot66
August 19th 2002, 16:18
Has anybody used or got any experience of whiteline swaybars?

I'm about to order a rear one for my IRS bug & wondered how they performed

hot66
August 19th 2002, 17:56
http://www.whiteline.com.au/swaybars.htm

homer
September 3rd 2002, 10:33
Yes, I've had Whiteline front and rear bars on my '71 Ghia autoX car since June.

I couldn't be happier with the way the car stays flat and the way the blade adjusters let me dial in/out oversteer/understeer.

The competition bars I bought from Whiteline are...

Front (for ball joint)
BWF8XZ
22mm dia.

Rear
BWR1XZ (for IRS)
27mm dia.

I was introduced to them by Greg Ward who uses them on his Australian national hillclimb championship Beetle.

I can't say enough good things about these bars... excellent choice.

Jeff
'71 Ghia
Atlanta GA US

effvee
September 4th 2002, 04:23
Is there a front and rear kit for my 72 Super? what size sway bars are offered. Is it a bolt on, no mods?

homer
September 4th 2002, 06:24
http://www.whiteline.com/au

When you go to the "Swaybar" section, you can download the PDF catalog.

In the one I downloaded earlier this summer, the VW bars are on page 29 of the catalog.

It definitely looks like they have Super bars, but I would encourage you to download the catalog.

Also, I talked with them by phone a couple of times with questions and to get clarification on my application and exchange rates... very knowledgeable and great folks to deal with.

The US importer is Mofugas...

http://www.mofugas.com

I'm also seeing the bars on WRX's and Civics at our events.

Great products!

Jeff

effvee
September 5th 2002, 04:55
Hi, I searched the suspension site but did not see any down load for catalog.

homer
September 5th 2002, 08:21
When you go to the page on "Swaybars," there is a hotlink PDF file off to the right of the screen that is the swaybar catalog.

effvee
September 6th 2002, 13:37
I went to whiteline to have a look at sway bars but each time I down loaded it only came out script. I also looked into the site further on (your car) it only had a VW Golf. Can someone post the Super Beetle setup from white line. Or give a part number.
Thanks

CPRcubed
September 6th 2002, 15:49
Front:
BWF1 (Clamp-On type, 18mm)
BWF13 (Replacement type, adjustable caster, off road only, to suit forged control arm, 22mm)
BWF15 (Replacement type, adjustable caster, off road only, to suit fabricated control arm, 22 mm)

Rear:
BWR1 (Kit type, 18mm)
BWR1Z (Kit type, 24mm)
BWR1XZ (Kit type, 27mm)

This is information from the catalog page 29.

Steve C
September 9th 2002, 08:12
Hi

I have whiteline bars front & rear on my 1302 bug. I have rose jointed the links on the rear bar.

Steve C

Alex
September 10th 2002, 21:26
Are there pictures available with the swaybars installed in a super or standard bug?
I would like to see how the adjustment is done.
I am very interested to see a pic from a balljoint beam with the swaybar installed.

Alex

CPRcubed
September 11th 2002, 09:44
I'll second Alex's request. Cheers!

Sandeep
July 24th 2003, 10:32
Does anyone have pictures of the bars installed on a standard or a super ?

Thanks

Sandeep

Aurumen
July 24th 2003, 10:41
I have both front and rear adjustable race bars on my standard. here is a pic of the rear one. Don't mind the rust, i was in the process of replacing my heater channel and floor pan when I took this.

to adjust, you change which hole the link is attached to on the bar, effectively changing the moment arm of the bar (length of bar). Stiffest is the farthest mounting point forward, loosest is the farthest mounting point towards the back of the car. I'm running both of them in the middle with my 225/50/16 race tires and it grips like mad at autocross. Still managable on the street.

Nick

Sandeep
July 24th 2003, 10:49
Thanks Nick !

Could you please provide a pic of the front setup ? What size are you running for the rear ? That bar looks beefy ! Are you happy with the mounting points ? Do you need to weld anything ?

It looks like they mount to the rear shock mount ... better than to the springplate in my opinion.

Sorry for all the questions but I WANT some of these bars !

Sandeep

Aurumen
July 24th 2003, 11:24
The mounting points are decent. Not too shabby and better than clamping them to the trailing arms or what-not. The rear is the 27mm and the front is 25mm. They're big :) Everything bolted right up, no need to weld anything. I recently had to take everything off to adjust my spring plates, and it was pretty easy to take off and put back on.

There are a few pics on my website of the front and rear bars. Go to http://homepage.mac.com/aurumen/PhotoAlbum1.html

Nick

Sandeep
July 24th 2003, 12:01
RIGHT ON !

Thanks very much for the link Nick. Those pictures explain everything. I LOVE the way that front bar mounts and looks.

I will be ordering my set very soon. I'll have a slightly used Bugpack 3/4" front swaybar with urethane bushings and stainless clamps for sale after Aug 10th :D

Thanks again Nick.

Sandeep

Rob
July 24th 2003, 13:21
Hey Nick,

What other mods have you done to the car ?
I see you also have the Konis up front, which setting are you using ?

Looks like you've done a lot of the same mods I have, adjusters, Konis, the swaybars are next on my list...

Did you weld in the floorpans yourself ? was this hard to do ?

Rob.

Aurumen
July 24th 2003, 14:43
The car is a 73 standard beetle with a brand new 1600 built by me. It had dual weber 44s and merged header with a dynomax muffler. I am running koni's up front set at their softest. I plan on keeping them on that setting...it handles very nicely on that setting on both the street and autocross. The rears are still junk GR2's. Eventually i'll put koni's back there too. My race wheels are 15X8 steel diamond racing wheels with 225/50/15 kumho victoracer V700s. Everything else is pretty stock. My eventual plans are to get a new tranny with quaife LSD. But after building the engine, i'm broke :)

Floor pans were easy to put in. They just slid in and we welded/bolted them in. They'd be especially easy if your heater channels are in good shape, unlike mine which i had to replace. I dunno how good of a welder you are, but i had never done any welding before. I bought a Lincoln SP 135 plus welder and just started practicing on scrap metal. Pretty easy to learn to mig weld.

Nick

Rob
July 24th 2003, 14:49
Don't you kill your turing radius with those 15x8 rims ?

Or do they have a very large offset ?
I'm running 15x7 rims and have installed spacer to regain some radius. The tire was hitting the trailing arm...

Rob.

Aurumen
July 26th 2003, 16:21
My regular rims are empi's...the race wheels are 15X8 with the stock offset. So they stick out considerably beyond the fenders. This is what i wanted for autocross since it gives me a much wider track than stock. So it has the same/similar turning radius as before. And turning is much easier when i'm racing since i can just blip the gas and get the rear end to oversteer me around really tight corners :) ahhhh...i love power oversteer :) Even from a 1600.

Aurumen
July 31st 2003, 12:48
Ya shoulda gone with the race versions at 22 and 27 :) they rock!! But they should be cool. The install is fairly obvious, but it really helps to have a 2nd pair of hands to hold one end up while you're attaching the other, although I did mine by myself and it's not so bad.

It may help to attach the bar at the shock points first, then attach them to the torsion house/front beam. I did it the opposite way the first time and it was a lot easier when I did it with the shock points first.

Set everything in the middle to start with and then adjust later...and remember, lots of lube on those bushings. I don't use the stuff they send, i use silicon grease (found in the plumbing section at the hardware store). I used it on my other car and it hasn't squeeked in 4 years...so i'm happy.

I kinda got a plethora of different hardware with my kit, so i just picked out the kind i liked best and used those. I had to go to the hardware and pick up one or two more locknuts, i think, but no biggie.

Good luck and let me know how it goes.

Nick

Sandeep
July 31st 2003, 14:03
Thanks for the heads up Nick.

ACN mentioned that the 20mm adjustable bar should be big enough for the front. I have the BP 19mm bar on the front now and I can drive the crap out of it and no understeer, so far so good. No bar on the rear though ...

As long as I can have oversteer with my 265/35/18 rear boots, I'll be happy.

Only time will tell.

Sandeep

Aurumen
July 31st 2003, 14:39
Those are some big tires...Got any pics with those on the car? Did you do wider fenders?

I'm running 225/50/15s with a lot more track width than stock (ie, wheels are a lot wider than fenders) for autocross. They have a 50 tread wear rating, so they are VERY STICKY. I have it set pretty neutral with a very very slight oversteer. Then if i hit the hammer in a turn, it will oversteer more. So I don't think you'll have too much problem getting oversteer. I also have both of mine set "loose".

I think you'll enjoy, although i would've recommended you went ahead and got the bigger bars...I drive mine on the street all the time and it isn't very rough or anything.

Good luck

Nick

Sandeep
August 2nd 2003, 14:51
Guess what I'm doing this weekend ...

http://members.rogers.com/ssyan/Images/Swaybar1.jpg

http://members.rogers.com/ssyan/Images/Swaybar2.jpg

Got the 20mm Front adjustable and 24mm rear adjusatble bars from ACN. The bars have 4 adjustment points each, and rear mounts have 2 points and front mounts have 3 points so, 12 point adjustable for the front and 8 point adjustable in the rear.

Sweet package.

Tech article to follow.

Sandeep

Aurumen
August 2nd 2003, 15:39
Eh, it's really 4 and 4...the bar mounting point is the only one that counts...it's what changes the "moment arm". But that's still 16 different combinations of front and back. Much better than the 1 you get with most bars :)

Nick