PDA

View Full Version : Silver CF?

btljus
May 13th 2003, 23:30
I was at the Canadian Auto Tech show this past weekend (which absolutely sucked A$$ BTW) but I saw a car there (green Supra)with what appeared to be a silver C/F dash. Now I know that it couldn't have been C/F simply because as the name says it CARBON (Black) now, I have seen the coloured stuff from Carbon Joe, red and blue but this stuff was all silver! Anyone have any ideas? could it have been tinted fiberglass? It looked sick! The reason I'm interested it because my car is so light in colour inside and out that the regular c/f just wouldn't look right and even the blue is not blue enough:( If anyone has seen this stuff or knows what it might be please let me know
http://members.rogers.com/3360z/images/completed/bigimages/final1.jpg

btljus
May 14th 2003, 22:36
Well I guess there is no answers...huh? I called Grand Prix Imports (MOMO importers for Canada) they have a few NEW knobs and steering wheels with c/f and silver c/f
http://www.momo.it/Momo/pomelli/grandi/shot/silver.jpg
"SHOT SILVER Shift knob in aluminum and aluminized glass fiber." is the description on the www.momo.it site but when I phoned and asked they guy said that they dye the c/f silver. Anyone know if that's possible?
Here is the steering wheel
http://www.momo.it/Momo/volanti/grandi/jet/silverjet.jpg
This is the SILVER JET

zen
May 14th 2003, 23:05
Carbon Joe may be able to do it. Maybe he will jump in or you can email him: www.carbonjoe.net

Carbon Joe
May 15th 2003, 00:16
Thanks Zen,
To the best of my knowledge there's no such thing as silver carbon fiber, it is physically impossible to dye carbon. The material your referring to is bleached kevlar, very nice stuff and very expensive somewhere around $80.00 a yard. I'll check with my suppliers and see what's available, last I herd it had to be ordered in 100 yard rolls, that's allot of $$$

btljus
May 15th 2003, 00:23
Yeah that would be VERY EXPENSIVE!!!!!!:goodness:
If you could find out though:rolleyes: maybe you don't have to buy the 100 yard roll. Please let me know I would definiately be interested as long as it's not stoopid expensive:silly:
thanks

Carbon Joe
May 17th 2003, 15:08
Peter,
We're in luck, a friend of mine had a few feet off the end of a roll, he's shipping it to me, I should get it some time next week. As soon as I get it I'll lay-up a few parts and let you know how they turn out.

btljus
May 20th 2003, 13:26
That sounds awesome! Can you let me know how much would it be for the dash inserts. But I think that I would only want the ones to each side of the steering column, not sure if the glove box one would look right. Do you have any pics of the regular c/f installed on a car? I would also like the knob inserts. maybe a coil cover and maybe the fan shroud but i'd probably have to send you that so you can copy it and that would take too much time for me not to be able to drive my car:(
please e-mail me as soon as you know if this stuff works well and how much $$ and if you have a pic of a sample or if you could ship me a sample
btljus68@hotmail.com
thanks Peter