PDA

View Full Version : flared fenders .....?

havik180
May 15th 2003, 17:17
What is your opinion on flared fenders ? Cool German Look style or crappy 70's styling ?! Lemme hear what you think !

NYBugman1972
May 15th 2003, 19:27
If you have the wheels to fill them, then they're cool.

oasis
May 16th 2003, 10:00
My answer is sort of both. To me, they looked crappy on the Cal-Look cars. But with some new-fangled or Porsche wheels on a German Looker, I think they look real nice.

I probably will opt for wide fenders eventually since they are available. In fact, I can't remember seeing flared fenders for sale or swap in years. Do you have a source, or are you considering one-offing a set?

-René

Tim
May 16th 2003, 10:19
This 1303 racer looks really cool with flared fenders, especially the air duct on the rear fender. Anyone knows who (which company) made them?

Tim

Racelook
May 16th 2003, 18:56
I find personaly flared fenders verry ugly. But yeah that's my meaning.

And I think that the airintakes in the rear fenders are selfmade ones. I maybe do it by my own bug, but i don't know for sure because i also are going to make air intakes in de on the sides (like the Remmele bug)

Lot's of pleasure

Greetings
Wiebrand

lightning bug
May 16th 2003, 21:12
I think flared fenders are hot. That yellow car looks mean in front. Make sure the tire fill in nicely.

vujade
May 17th 2003, 08:26
This is one of the few VW's I like with Flared Fenders

http://www.1302super.com/racing_1302.jpg

TitoRay
May 18th 2003, 01:37
Hmmm. The feature car "die luftwaffe," for as nice of a car it is, it looks kinda funny with those flared fenders (maybe its the angle of the pics). On the other hand, the pic vujade pointed out looks really good. Depends on color maybe??:confused:

vujade
May 18th 2003, 10:39
tito

I agrees, some flared fenders look real bad.

Iworkatwendys
May 18th 2003, 16:43
The reasoning behind my not liking flared fenders is that you are changing the lines of a beetle, I just don't like how it looks fatter in front and in the back.

ShApE
May 18th 2003, 22:53
what size tires look good under flared fenders i have some semi deep dish rims (go in about 2 inches) with 205/40/17 would that look ok?

Che Castro
May 19th 2003, 08:43
I prefer Aero guards to flared fenders, it looks more subtle. I dont think flared fenders seem to look good on a bug as it already has fenders that come out of the body.

LOAF
May 19th 2003, 12:18
Hey Gents,
What are aero guards.
I was considering the Kersher Flared Fenders since I am in the middle of a 944 swap.
Thanks
Alex

Tim
May 22nd 2003, 11:26
On Hoffmann-Speedster website, http://www.hoffmann-speedster.de/us/products.htm, there are two different kinds of flared fender - "border" and "bulge", but I can't spot any different from the pictures. Anyone knows exactly what the difference is?
Tim

bugsoup
July 15th 2003, 10:20
I think the difference between the two is the general shape. The border flare curves outboard at the edge of the arch while the bulge flare "hugs" the tire and points back down at the edge. Someone please correct me if this is not correct. Personally I like the look of the bulged flare; the border flare is to 70's for my taste. I never did like metal flake paint on a bug anyway.

The Hoffman fenders look nice but they don't offer many choices for width in the bulge flare. Plus they are 290 Euros plus shipping, a little bit pricey. Does anyone have sources for bulged flare fenders in the US? Most sites I've seen don't distinguish between the two styles and definately do not want the disco/lowrider look.

Vincent
July 15th 2003, 11:18
I like biger finders like what Steve C. has on his yellow 1302. They are very wide and house the old style head lamps that he swapped out for 911 lights.

Vincent
July 15th 2003, 11:21
Here is a pic from the back....

Vincent
July 15th 2003, 11:23
here is a pic straight from the front.