PDA

View Full Version : 944 vs CSP brakes

greenterbo
August 20th 2002, 19:59
I have completed the 944 rear disc brake install. Brakes cables were the most difficult part for sure. Does anyone know the correct length of the brake cable needed when installing the 944 discs? It might be good idea to post this. Once I get the wheel stud problem straightened out I will be in business (the studs are to long). What is your opinion about this; using the 944 brakes in the rear and CSP vented disc brakes up front? Will the stock SB master cylinder work? What do you all know about braided steel brake lines? Local VW shop sold me a set of bugpack lines. They have a note on them "not for highway use". Anyone know the reason why?

lightning bug
August 20th 2002, 20:41
The stainless lines aren't D.O.T. approved so technically they aren't legal. That's why they're cheaper and stamped "not for highway use". You could probably get away with them though depending on how strict your inspections are. They're just as good but again, not legal. If you don't want to take a chance, get a set of D.O.T. approved lines such as Goodridge.

dgluyas
August 20th 2002, 21:53
I have done the conversion and used the Porsche cable ends and made the overall length the same as the Volkswagen cables, a simple matter of holding the original vw cable against the new one. The Porsche ends are needed as these attach to the rear hub/hand brake setup. A cable workshop is needed to put the front threaded section on to the cables. This at a low cost opereation.It all cost me $30 Aussie. The problem with using the Porsche cable is that the threaded segment that you need to add to the handbrake end needs to be exactly the same as the original,if not the handbrake end wont pass through the chassis tube properly when you try to pass it through from the rear. I had to cut off some thread so it would. I will try to measure it and post it soon.
Cheers David "Goliath"

prowlerthing
November 25th 2002, 00:21
Pardon me if I'm jumping in. I'm unsure if this is the proper method. This is my first time post on this forum. I have a Type 181 Thing, that I want to do 4 wheel disc brakes on. I also have recently dimantled 2 Porsche 914's. I would of course like to use the 914 set up if it is feasable. I pulled a rear hub on the Thing and it of course is, course splined and the 914 is fine spline. Can I use the 914 or a 911 stub. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Roger V.
Prowlerthing

kdanie
November 25th 2002, 13:14
The difference between the DOT rated braided stainless hoses and non-DOT hoses is a plastic sleeve at each fitting that reduces fatigue on the teflon liner when it flexes.
I spoke with the hose company tech rep and he explained the testing procedures to me. They take the hose and clamp one end in a machine and turn it on. The machine whips the hose around randomly very hard, if the hose kinks it does'nt pass the test. The plastic sleeve spreads the load at the fitting (weakest point for kinks) up the hose so it passes the test. I installed some DOT hoses from CSP on my bug, very sweet pieces with a clear plastic cover over the stainless braid. Some people say dirt can get into the stainless braid and wear a hole in the teflon liner, I suppose it is possible.
I have run non-DOT hoses on my minivan for the past 4 years with no problems. The suspension movement does not stress the ends of the hose if it is installed corectly. I do check them for leaks a couple times a year.
ken

Jim Andritsakos
November 25th 2002, 18:28
Here is the easy way :

Kerscher has e-brake cable adapters.
www.kerscher.de