PDA

View Full Version : Who needs 914 parts ?

Rob
June 12th 2003, 13:55
I've found a 914, with running 2.0 engine for 1,500.

This sounds too good to be true, but I'm probably going to check it out. IS anybody interested in parts of this car ?
I'm obviously going to take the engine, and maybe the tranny.
Not sure if there are more 914 parts that can be used on a bug.

Problem is how to get this thing home, but I'm sure we can figure this out.

Anybody interested in a trip to Oshawa this weekend ?

Rob.

petevw
June 12th 2003, 15:16
cool rob,

what are you going to do with the rest of the car?

pete

Rob
June 12th 2003, 15:25
Well, he was also considering selling me just the engine.
So I'm going to take a look at it and decide if I'm going to tow the whole thing home (and risk getting killed by my wife), or if I'll just take the engine.

Do you know if the suspension components would be usable (and better) for a bug ?

Rob.

vujade
June 12th 2003, 15:52
Rob

the 914 has a strut from suspension.
which I dont think can be used on a bug too easily.

It does have 4 wheel disc brakes with the same bolt pattern as a bug if you want to keep the stock pattern I would say go for it.
If you planning on running modern Porsche rims, dont bother with the 914 brakes then.

Also if it is a 2.0 car, it should have the big 3 guages, plus the center console with 3 small guages too. (which all can be used in a bug)

You can also use the tranny too. you have to modify it though for rear engine configuration vs the 914 mid engine config.

I would probably buy the whole car if it is in decent shape.
914's are getting hard to come by and it is probably worth some money even without the motor (you can make back some of your losses)

Sandeep
June 12th 2003, 15:54
Nice score Rob !

Looks like a type 4 will be in your bug's future :hehehe:

Grab the engine and all the FI components as well as the tranny and gauges. I think the rotors are similar to a ghia so you can use those. You can install the tranny when you seperate the body from the pan.

Sandeep

Sandeep
June 12th 2003, 15:55
I see Joe replied while I was typing my reply !

Sandeep

vujade
June 12th 2003, 16:11
well it never hurts to have more then one opinion :D

Supa Ninja
June 12th 2003, 19:05
Vujade is right, 914's are getting hard to find, I was just looking at the local Auto Trader and it blew my mind how much they are going for now. There were three in there ranging from $4,300- $15,000. I'm glad I got mine when I did. Nice score!

Nick

vujade
June 12th 2003, 20:14
Supa

My 914 should be on the road soon.

Rob
June 12th 2003, 20:48
Damn Guys !
I was just going for the engine, but now I am contemplating getting the whole car and fixing it up......AAArrgh not another project !!

:D :D

Rob.

Supa Ninja
June 13th 2003, 10:43
Vujade, thats is good news. You might reconsider selling. There is a 914-6 over in my neck of the woods and he's running on Turbo Twists, very nice.
Rob, they do make good daily drivers, as long as your willing to wrench on them.

Nick

Rob
June 14th 2003, 13:29
Well guys, looks like I won't be able to pull this one off.
If anybody else is interested in the car, let me know and I'll give you the contact info.

The guy doesn't want to sell the engine alone and I can't store another car. Plus that I decided that I need to spend my money on the suspension first :D

Rob.