PDA

View Full Version : German Look Square?

southeastvw
June 14th 2003, 19:31
So, Maybe I should make my 73 Square German Look?
Right now the engine is still being installed and so, nothing else has been done.
I am going for Tan tweed/vinyl interior with tan fender beading. Keeping the org bumpers and was keeping the molding as well.
I have a set of Sprint Stars to be placed on there, but that can be changed. The brakes have to be done anyway, so sugguestions there........

vujade
June 14th 2003, 20:39
DEFINITELY KATHY!

You can black out the chrome trim and paint the bumpers to match the car.

You can also do a 944 brake converion to it and slap on some
Fuchs, Phone Dials or Design 90's if you want to save some money.

zen
June 14th 2003, 20:42
would love to have another one around. you are halfway there with having the engine. if you want to go for the look, go with Porsche 2.0 liters rims if you want to keep the 4-lug pattern. since you have to rebuild the brakes anyway, if you are interested in going to the 5x130 pattern you could for for Fuch's, phone dials and others. and you can always drop the suspension some.

you would need to reconsider the tweed depending on how much of the look you are looking for. as you know there really aren't any rules, but can't say i have ever seen one with tweed.

nothing wrong with keeping the trim either if that is what you want. there is a fair mixture of it.

do it kathy!!!!

southeastvw
June 14th 2003, 20:50
So what about this 944 brake conversion? What all is that going to require?
But then I already have the Sprint Stars and they have been Aluminum Ceramic coated, but then I could sell them for some money for some Porsche ones.
I really don't know about my interior until we actually get there. But I do know I want Tan.
Man I am getting excited just thinking about doing this. I think I will give my friend an email to see how the install is going.

vujade
June 14th 2003, 21:23
you could always do a 914 rear brake conversion too if you want to keep your 4 lug wheels instead of Porsche 5 lug.
Then you could run 2.0 Fuchs or Pedrini's (both are 4 x 130) and came on 914's.

Iworkatwendys
June 14th 2003, 22:27
I think a GL square would be pretty nice, I say go for it Kathy. Since you're car is still being built there is plenty of time to go GL all the way :)

jhelgesen
June 15th 2003, 00:21
Are we a bad influence or what! :D

vujade
June 15th 2003, 09:01
You know we are ;)

chigger
June 15th 2003, 11:34
Humm! Why not! Should look pretty good. Lowering it should be easier than a bug as the front uses torsion bars just like the bug rear. I think you are limited to wheel width due to the fender wells not being all that big. The Ghias should have about the same size fender wells if you want to compare. I am not sure if yours came with disk brakes or not, but if it did you can use a bug rotor drilled for Porsch rims in the front and an aftermarket disk brake in the rear. If you use low profile tires a taller wheel is almost necessary as the thinner tire makes the wheels look too small an unbalances the aethics (Just my opinion). I will be looking foward to seeing it.

southeastvw
June 15th 2003, 11:58
Well, yes you are all a BAD influence:p
We will just have to see how things pan out. Got to sell some VW projects in the yard at the moment!
If you all see anything you think I would need, send my way.

vujade
June 15th 2003, 16:34
Chigger

Actually a type 3 has lots of room up front for large wheels.

I put my 17 x 7 Porsche Boxter wheels on my brothers notch (which is slammed by the way) and I was able to turn the wheels with no rubbing whatsoever.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid61/p338d821c2fa50f22aaf84b586231daba/fc2bc63b.jpg

vujade
June 15th 2003, 16:34
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid61/p072d1a23ae589d34efb66d0d7ab31c4a/fc2bc4c2.jpg

southeastvw
June 15th 2003, 16:43
Man! That Notch is SWEET!:cool:

vujade
June 15th 2003, 16:45
can you believe with those wheels as tucked as they are, they didnt rub with full turns in either direction?

Supa Ninja
June 15th 2003, 16:50
Kathy,
Shad Law is building/built a VERY healthy Type IV powered Square and he's running early 944 brakes all around. According to his write-up it appears to be be a fairly straight forward conversion. I'll do sum searching on the forums and see if I can find the post.

Nick

PS the post is in the brakes forum, I would attach a link but I'm not good with computers.

southeastvw
June 15th 2003, 17:01
I know Shad has a healthy Type Iv in his Type III, but thought it was a fastback.
I will do some looking too, when I get the chance

Supa Ninja
June 15th 2003, 17:10
Your right Kathy, its a Fastback. I think GL Square would be very cool.

Nick

NO_H2O
June 16th 2003, 08:13
Do it Kathy! Sell the wheels you have and go for it. It would be easy to go with 2L Fuchs, lower it and go with a tan Porsche look interior. Take some sporty front seats(tan) from a wrecked car at a junk yard and do your own side panels then do the back seats stock(smooth) tan. Do the trim in the same finish as a late model silver Porsche wheel(to match the VKG sticker of course). I can see it now, and it looks sweeeeeeeeeet.:cool:

chigger
June 17th 2003, 00:40
Well I am not a T3 person. I really like them, but I don't have one so I haven't spent much time looking at them. A notch back is my favorite car, however they are super rare around here so I settled for a bug. I always thought a square back would look nice slammed with a chopped top with rear windows made into a panel, fenders flared with tall wide tires and rims, and maybe some custom front turn signals and early bumpers. What is nice is the German look is performance and looks. I suggest you get it running first so you can enjoy it while you are deciding on changes. Mine has been in the process for 6 years and is yet to be on the road. Highly annoying. Any way welcome to the crazy world of the GL.

NO_H2O
June 17th 2003, 08:24
Hey Kathy here is a posibility for wheels.
http://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=49326

vujade
June 17th 2003, 08:47
Dave

that 23mm offset will not work that well with a T3.
Kathy would need the Phone dials with 52mm offset.

southeastvw
June 17th 2003, 09:58
Well, I am going to do it! We were talking about it last night and so I am going to start looking for some wheels and such.
I have the Original bumpers(they needed to be rechromed) so we can strip them, take the runner strip off, fill in the holes and paint the same color as the car(cream red). NO TWEED in the interior, although I am still going with Tan. Still will have the molding, but have it the same color as car, silver(which would go with wheels) or black(it was black before).
Chigger I can;t really drive it once it has been installed due to the fact the all the windows are out and fenders are off. Although I do live on a dirt road, so I could drive it around :p

southeastvw
June 17th 2003, 10:04
Hey Dave! Thanks for that link.
Since Jade alreayd said they wouldn't work that well for the Square, I wonder if those Phone Dials will work for the 68 Crewcab????? 15x7 dials with 23mm Offset
That isn't a bad deal either....espically when I have a friend that goes to that area often.

vujade
June 17th 2003, 10:19
Im not sure about a crewcab either.
The only car I could see them working on is a standard beetle
because they have the biggest wheel wells of all VW's.

jhelgesen
June 17th 2003, 13:12
Kathy, let me know what you want to do about brakes, I'll see what I can do to fix you up. I should have some parts in hand in a few weeks.

John

NO_H2O
June 17th 2003, 17:35
I missed the 23mm offset part not working on a T-3, sorry. I got my wheels from Wheel Enhancment, the where on a clearance sale for $75ea 16x6 with a 52mm offset. The Porsche guys normaly go up in width and the are left with too many 6 inch wide wheels, they were not reconditioned but where very clean used wheels. E-mail them and see if you can work a deal, maybe a 944 brake convertion/Porsche wheel convertion story for Trends would score you a great deal or trade for some exposure in the story.:D

southeastvw
June 17th 2003, 19:21
Hmmmm good thinking there 'Seeing Eye Dave' about the a trends story. Doesn't hurt to ask.
Send me a link to the website with those wheels, please :p

John, you might have some brake componants for me?:D I am not actually sure what all I would need, but the brakes have not been done on the Square yet. Heck I don't even have it back yet!!! :mad: I am dieing to get this car done, preferably before Florida Bug Jam:silly:

Thanks for all the help guys, you all are such a BAD influence!

NO_H2O
June 17th 2003, 20:22
Yes we are a very bad influence!
Kathy, you have mail.
The next thing you know Kathy will be looking for a 901 gearbox
:D

Tom Alltypes
June 17th 2003, 21:38
When ya get around to doing your front brakes, IF you have bad rotors, I have a pair of stockers in my shed that will fit your late 3 that mic out good.

I just finished doing the disc install on the back of my notch, CB's 914 based uints. I had them laying around after yanking them off my '51 to save a bit of weight. I will revisit the e brake cable adaptor and then post some pix and specs of what it took to get the e brake to my satisfaction.

I also just upgraded the rear susupension to all 944 features and specs, down to the 944 anti roll bar. Also will be pix and specs on my site soon covering that. That will give you some more to ponder, hehehe.

Maybe my notch is getting German flavored, I think it is but............