PDA

View Full Version : wheels & wings (fenders)

hot66
August 21st 2002, 09:58
My 66 cabrio has now got a IRS backend on it from a 1303. I've kitted the back end out with 1303 trailing arms, 944 adjustable spring plates, 944 vented discs etc & brembo calipers.

I have bolted up a 17x7.5" et 52 cup 2 wheel to check spacing etc.

This wheel just clears the bumpstop plate on the rear shock tower.

With the car on axle stands the outside of the wheel sticks about 20mm outside the wing. (see photo)

http://www.cartogra.com/rs/14E9B06F-1B7E-11D6-B42A-0090277A760E/screen

Now I know this combination can work on 1303 bugs so I'm hopeing when I get the rear suspension compressed the small amount of camber change should bring the wheel top inside the wing.

Does anybody else run this combination on a pre 67 car?

Is it possible 1303 wings are wider than pre 67 ones?

If not how can I bring the wheel back under the wing?

thanks

James

bren
August 21st 2002, 10:58
this thread: http://www.germanlook.com/Forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=230 has some info that may be of use.. seems 944's use spacers ... i presume your spacers are still fitted.. might be worth removing them or replacing them with thinner ones...

hot66
August 21st 2002, 18:13
no spacers fitted :(

just a steel 944 hub (don't know what year but assume early), vented disc & wheel

maybe I'm missing something :confused:

Alex
August 21st 2002, 19:47
the 944 vented rear brakes add to the width of your rear track.
The Fender might need the inner lip folded and it also might need to be pulled out slightly.
But from what I see in the pic your car is already painted.
I saw on the weekend an early bug with 7X17 ET55 under stock fenders without any problems.....but with CB rear disk that do not add to the width of the track I believe.

Alex

hot66
August 22nd 2002, 03:33
the fenders are 'fibreglass' & as you said allready painted.

I'm going to check what happens when the suspension is loaded.

vert
August 25th 2002, 16:16
I wouldn't change anything just yet untill you have the car together with the engine in it and its suspension has settled. You'll find that the wheels will tuck in quite nicely!
Also where your arms bolt onto the chassis with the big pivot bolt there are two big washers, these must both be on the outside of the arm to give as much negative camber (same as factory manual suggests)

69_Dreamz
August 25th 2002, 16:46
not sure but I thought the offsett for the cup2's if putting them on a known super were something like 52mm offset in the the front and a lower offset like 35mm (plus or minus) in the rear? If you can't get a definete answer try checking the post on the STF for more info. Hope this helps.

hot66
August 26th 2002, 04:16
35et would mean the wheels would stick out even further.

I've worked out if I fit some original porsche rims that are 7" (actual measured width 8") et 55 they would fit better.

Vert, thanks for that info, I'd forgotton about spacers on the inner IRS pivot :) . I have a feeling when I get weight on the backend of the car the suspension should settle out & the wheels will just fit.

vert
August 26th 2002, 22:56
Yeah i think they will definately fit once there's weight on the rear end. Don't forget that with the car on jack stands youre going to have some positive camber which makes the problem look much worse than it realy is. Your car is looking awesome by the way!
Good to see some modded Karmann's like yours and Mattkab's