PDA

View Full Version : Battery relocation

Superman
June 16th 2003, 22:59
I expressed my views on this when Vujade did it but I still feel it's dangerous to have the battery right next to the gas tank, it could lead to an explosion in a frontal collision (perhaps the addition of a fuel cell should be done as well in this situation).

Wally
June 18th 2003, 09:10
Superman,
Some old model 911 S's even have a plastic gastank and also the battery there in stock configuration!?

Some watercooled cars (BMW's) have the battery in the rear trunk, also near the gastank, which is also in the trunk with these cars!?

Altough you're right theoreticly, compared to all other mods that are done to our cars, I think its a bit far fetched to call this one dangerous. Driving ANY 30 year old bug more than 90 mph is in priciple dangerous. IMHO not having the battery properly fixed to the car would be a much greater risk, also in the same crash you fear...

Thanks for your concern tho.
Walter

vujade
June 18th 2003, 09:23
Wally I couldnt agree with you more.
As long as all your wiring was done correctly and it is properly concealed, there should be no problems what so ever.

Here is a pic of my install

http://www.germanlook.com/Forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=6390

Superman
June 18th 2003, 10:10
Notice, as you said, the Porsche (and others) have a plastic gas tank that would flex. Perhaps I'm being over cautious but there isn't anything wrong with that. Good luck with your mods. guys, we can't agree on everything. Although the Kafer Cup racers that I see with a front mounted battery have them very low in the spare tire well and all the way forward along with a fuel cell.

vujade
June 18th 2003, 10:30
I would have put mine lower but didnt want to give up the spare tire.

A fuel cell would be nice. I have thought about that. Maybe making one to fit in the spare tire well. This would get alot of the gas weight nice and low and to the front of the car.
What do you think?

webs1302s
June 18th 2003, 17:24
Ever look at the fuel tanks they sell for the marine industry? They are made out of polyethylene and come in all different shapes and sizes. I don't see why they couldn't be used in a car. Hmmm

webs1302s
June 18th 2003, 17:25
Oh ya, they sell them at overtons.com

Wally
June 19th 2003, 02:01
Originally posted by Superman
Notice, as you said, the Porsche (and others) have a plastic gas tank that would flex.

Super,
Only some 'S' models have a plastic tank. This had to be ordered separatedly (I know, since my brother has a '73 S model with that tank). All others have a normal steel tank. The plastic tank was not a safety measure, but for saving weight...
Also look under the front of a pre-'73 model 911. The lowest point of the car is the tank...

I do agree that it is better not to place the battery that high. I've welded rectangular 'corners' of 1,5mm zinc coated steel in the spare wheel well and in the left corner I fixed the battery to the floor (opposite of drives side next to the strut tower). Eventually a strut brace could further prevent front damage to reach the battery/tank.
You could call the mod an active safety measure: better handling could prevent an accident :-)

Greetings,
Walter

beetle1303
September 5th 2003, 19:40
Hi guys,
I hope that someone will read my reply. I dont want you to think that I try to be a smart-***, but last summer one of my friends had a very serious accident. He collided with another car in a head to head manner. both cars were doing about 45- 60 km/h which is a lot. His 1302's face was mostly damaged and the spare wheel got shrinked. I strongly believe that the spare wheel absorbed a big part of the collision forces and prevented any bending even to the front part of the gas tank seat.

I would like everyone to think every carefully before removing the spare wheel from its normal position or disruppting its "performance" in such a way

Chris (beetle1303)

Superman
September 5th 2003, 23:19
> Fuel Cell <

www.superbeetlesonly.com/motorsports/eric/plumsmash.html

beetle1303
September 6th 2003, 20:23
I check the link you told me. Its really sad to see these happen, but unfortunally they happen. The accident that I described yesterday wasn't that severe, due to the spare wheel.
All I wanted to say is to think about it for a car that will be used mostly on the road which isn't as safe as a track. I believe you get my point on track's safety.

I might seem a little over cautious but i ve seen a lot of things going really and as far as possibly wrong for many causes on the road. By that I dont mean that accidents that happen on a track aren't so serious or even more or that they should be taken lightly.
For me is think safety first and then every thing else comes a long after.
Anyway I wish a quick recovery to Eric Roberts.(I have only red the current article about him and nothing more recent).

Chris (beetle1303)

Superman
September 6th 2003, 22:36
Thanks Chris and your comments are very good and I totally agree. Eric is doing better, you can read updates on him in our Forum at the SBO! site. He posts under the name "Plumbugracer".