PDA

View Full Version : GL camper tires

jhelgesen
June 18th 2003, 22:11
Hey Guys, wanted your opinion and advice.

Got my motor for my camper this week, 2.0 gd case, good shape. Strap on my twin ict's and a muffler (thanks Joe) and I'm almost on the road.

Trying to work on the G look for the camper. Thinking I will take it back to the original orange, paint the top and bumpers silver, maybe put some silver euro graphics on the side. Eventually change the interior to aluminum or CF, make it look like a mini race hauler.

What do you think? Blitzcraft race hauler?

I'm gonna have to put tires on it before it hits the road, what would you use? I'm thinking of painting the rims gloss black and going with no hub caps. What tires to use? Stock is a 185 75 14. I'd like to go a little wider tire, 195 or so, and a little shorter. anyone ever played with these on a bus?

vujade
June 18th 2003, 22:42
a 195/60/15 might be real nice :D

jhelgesen
June 19th 2003, 06:14
Originally posted by vujade
a 195/60/15 might be real nice :D

Yeah, would be excellent, but I would have to find new rims. :(

vujade
June 19th 2003, 08:50
You can also get 185 or 195/60/14 and those are nice as well.

Didnt see the 14" rim :D

zen
June 19th 2003, 08:53
if we keep this up the GL buses are going to out number all of the other cars in the VKG :D.

i think it would be great. i like the euro look with the graphics just as much as i do the mono look of GL. i think you should change the rims though. the tire selection is thin in 14" and if you drop the profile any you are going to really hurt the gearing and cruising speed (which will be important if this is for hauling to shows).

find a nice set of 16' phones like pillow or design 90's would look sweet. if you don't want to change patterns, you could always look at aftermarket or go with porsche nipple hubcaps.

Pillow
June 23rd 2003, 13:31
Ditch the crappy 14" rims. Period. They are horrible to find tires for.

You can put Vanagon alloys on there 15" and also there are a lot of Audi and Mercedes wheels that will fit as well (with little work). Check out www.vanagon.com in thier tech area.

As for tires then get some 215/75/R15 Sears has a deal for $79 each for Michelin XCX (LTX) tires which are hard to beat.

NO_H2O
June 23rd 2003, 21:25
Check out the Type 2 in the new Hot VW for some Ideas. It's Swwweeeeeeeet.:D