PDA

View Full Version : Shifter question

Ron Roberts
June 19th 2003, 14:45
There are several choices of aftermarket shifters one can by for their VW. Scat and Gene Berg seem to have the best rep from what I gather.
Most newer cars have a spring action to them whereas all the Vw shifters as far as I know, do not. It seems to me that the shifter really doesn't do much. It is a very basic, lever and fulcrum machine. If the ball fits snug in the socket of the shift rod, and the tunnel bushing is in good shape. What can one shifter do that another one can't? In my car, the play between gears is loose, even though the front and rear bushing is new. I move the shifter where it needs to go, or I miss. There is nothing in the system to guide the shifter. I don't think anything is out of order here, but I have never driven a new air cooled VW.
So, 2 questions:

Is a new transmission "tighter" in its feel when the shifter is moving between gears?

What makes an expensive shifter better than cheap one or stock? (disreguarding length of throw)?

Thanks
Ron

Ron Roberts
June 19th 2003, 22:49
I should clarify a coulple of things. When I say I either move the shifter where it needs to go, or miss, I'm not saying there is a real problem. I miss a shift once a week maybe. I guess 1 out of 1000.
Secondly, the slop between gears isn't really between the gears. When in any gear I can move the shifter knob right to left 1.5 to 2 inches. This is with a cheapie short throw kit. So if I am in 3rd for example I can have the knob to the right and shift straight back to 4th, or I can have the knob to the left and shift straight back into 2nd rather than having to go back, left, and back again.

So, not really a problem, but it would be nice to have that solid feel that my Hurst had back in my V8 days, but that was a whole different set up with a box and 2 rods going back to the tranny. Is this solid feel found with a good VW shifter or is it dictated by the tranny itself?

Thanks again
Ron

Vincent
August 11th 2003, 02:01
I have driven a car with a Scat shifter it was very tight... sometimes hard to get it to gear.. the slop you are talking about is not there... I have a friend with a Gene Berg shifter and it is very nice... they both will get rid of the "play" in the shifter...

Hope that helps...