PDA

View Full Version : New Rear Aprons

vujade
June 25th 2003, 17:04
Who sells the rear aprons with no exhaust cutouts?

Superman
June 26th 2003, 00:08
I don't think anyone does. You'll have to have them welded up OR just buy the fiberglass cover from CCC that just slips over the existing apron.

vujade
June 26th 2003, 01:13
thanks Supe.

I actually found the ad I was looking for.
It is So. Cal Imports

they have them for $45 and they are metal not glass.

Superman
June 26th 2003, 01:56
That's new to me, are they made like that or welded? I'm not too sure about that company, I ordered from them one time and they messed it all up and took three months to refund my money.

vujade
June 26th 2003, 02:09
Im not sure if they are welded or not.

I havent called them yet. I just found their ad again in HotVW's.

I will be a little wary of them if you had a problem with them.

kdanie
June 26th 2003, 12:30
They are not welded, they are new stampings. I have purchased from SoCal Imports several times with good results. Their stuff is not always the highest quality but the prices are good. I have been considering one of those aprons also.
ken

zen
June 26th 2003, 13:22
Originally posted by kdanie
They are not welded, they are new stampings. I have purchased from SoCal Imports several times with good results. Their stuff is not always the highest quality but the prices are good. I have been considering one of those aprons also.
ken

ditto on the pricing, quality, and ordering process. i have a problem with a rotors and after a heated discussion i at least got it worked out to an agreeable situation.

oasis
June 26th 2003, 14:47
I'm curious as to why metal is being chosen for the rear apron although I realize the weight savings of fiberglass wouldn't be significant?

Thanks,
René

vujade
June 26th 2003, 17:01
my understanding is the fiberglass ones are just a covering and not an actual apron.... maybe someone can clarify this?

Plus I want to make a removable apron, so I want it to be strong too.

Supa Ninja
June 26th 2003, 17:04
I believe the fiberglass one is just a cover that goes over the original metal, a bit cheesy but effective. I wish someone would manufacture a EFI rear apron.

Nick

zen
June 27th 2003, 07:54
they are just a cover up. as reference, here are the CCC ones: CCC apron (http://www.creativecarcraft.com/cleanup.htm)

i had one on my '59 back in the mid-80's. the biggest issue with them is it bumps the profile out and the fenders do not align then. luckily i had CCC fenders at the time and could set the holes to bump the fenders out too.

i was hoping there was a pic of the back of my car on their site to see it, but i can't find one. i will see if i have any old shots at home. i was shocked enough to see my car on their site at all considering i built it in '84 and haven't seen it since '86. it is the light blue (Plymoth Grabber Blue) one at the bottom right...

http://www.creativecarcraft.com/brag4.jpg

lightning bug
July 3rd 2003, 14:46
Do they sell fuel-injection rear aprons as well???

vujade
July 3rd 2003, 14:49
I dont think so

lightning bug
July 6th 2003, 22:53
Eh! Everyone wants too much for them. BeetleMex wants $55 which is pretty good, but they naturally don't return calls and/or e-mails. I got perfect one at a swap for $5. Would like some more though for spares.

Carbon Joe
July 19th 2003, 08:24
I've also been thinking about a removable rear apron and after reading the article in VWtrends it seems easy to do. When I have my apron off I'll pull a mold off of it and make my self a carbon fiber removable apron (my car is a fuel injectioned 79) I'll also be able to make them out of fiberglass, would anyone be interested it them?

vujade
July 19th 2003, 08:48
Joe, I have already resolved my apron issues.

But I am sure that plently of people would want the FI apron.
I dont believe that there is a reproduction piece for that apron.

bugsoup
July 19th 2003, 12:32
How much would a CF FI apron cost? I am very interested in one.

Superman
July 19th 2003, 12:58
Originally posted by lightning bug
BeetleMex wants $55 which is pretty good

The Fuel Injection rear apron, Mexican $55 and German is $250. The difference is that the German has the exhaust cut out on the right side and the Mexican hole is on the left. I've never had a Mexican apron in my hands but I'm sure the metal is thin when compared to the German apron.

Carbon Joe
July 19th 2003, 16:40
I would reshape it a little and fill in the recessed area down by the exhaust cutout and make it nice and strong. As for cost, I'm not sure, I think it would be less then a new german one.

Superman
July 19th 2003, 18:04
If I were in the market for one, which I am not because I have a German one, I'd want it to look exactly like the original. I'm sure there are many resto owners out there that would be interested in a low cost alternative for a F.I. apron, $250 is a little stout.

lightning bug
July 21st 2003, 20:34
Originally posted by Superman
The Fuel Injection rear apron, Mexican $55 and German is $250. The difference is that the German has the exhaust cut out on the right side and the Mexican hole is on the left. I've never had a Mexican apron in my hands but I'm sure the metal is thin when compared to the German apron.

Yes, but $250. Sorry, that's where I draw the line on German parts. I have an original one I got from a swap for $5. Took me a long time to find one cheaper than $100 though. I honestly probably wouldn't pay $100 either. I filled the exhaust cut-out anyway. Someone SHOULD start making later parts. It seems you can get an Oval ashtray easier than a Super Beetle headlight switch.