PDA

View Full Version : Trouble (Loooooong post)

Rob
June 28th 2003, 19:51
Well guys, looks like my car will be off the road for a while.

Last week I installed a short-shift kit with all new bushings and a urethane coupler, a bugpack header (welded in an O2 sensor bung), and one of those sticking-out-the-back way cool mufflers :D :D

Then I installed dropped spindles....now the car sits wayyy to low and it also pushes out the wheels more....so.....they are hitting the fenders when the suspension moves.

So I'll see if I can jack it up a bit (have an adjustable beam).
I migth also remove the quick steer-kit and caster shims....

Anybody know a good alignment shop that knows Beetles ?

Anyway, my engine has developed a death rattle. First I thought is was the fan, but I removed the fanbelt, started her up and the sound was still there, seemed even louder...

So I'm going to pull the engine to see if the flywheel might be loose...and while I am at it, I'm going to try and make one of those removable aprons.

I already have the el-cheapo removable decklid (2 pins from a Garden Tractor shop), so I guess the apron is the next step.

I'm not sure when I get all this done.. I also still need to wire the oil temp gauge and the O2 sensor, and right now it's just too freaking hot in my garage...

So don't be surprised if I pull up in my Sube the next meet....at least it's still a Boxer....and not an Echo..... (J/K Alex ;) )

Sorry 'bout the long post.....

Rob.

Alex
June 28th 2003, 22:35
I guess I can bring the Scooby too with the kid seat in it! :D
Maybe it is time to leave the Echo at home. Maybe I should just walk....and have a few more beers.

I am sorry to hear about your problems. Hope she is running soon again.

Alex:silly:

Ron Roberts
June 29th 2003, 11:30
I once had the death rattle, well, not actually death, it was some sheet metal at the alternator to fan shroud connection. A coulple bolts cam loose. Check all the easy stuff first.

Ron

Sandeep
June 30th 2003, 09:13
Rob,

If it is a death rattle, I have a 1600cc shortblock sitting on my workbench. Its complete except for 1 crank bearing that is a little tight.

You can have the short block ...you just have to come and get it. !

Sandeep

Rob
June 30th 2003, 11:36
Da@mn Sandeep, that's mighty nice of you !!!

I'll see if I can pull the engine today. I'm away on business this week so I don't know how far I will get. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again !

Rob.

BTW, you don't happen to have a set of DP heads lying around have you ? :p :p

Sandeep
June 30th 2003, 14:45
Rob,

If I did, you would have them by now ! I sold them through EBay last December.

Sandeep

petevw
June 30th 2003, 16:04
Rob,

how long do you need this motor for? i have a 1600 complete on my garage floor. it has a generator on it, no alternator. you can BORROW it for a while. will just bolt in. i think the clutch/flywheel is still on it. it has NO oil leaks pretty strong, it took a beating. ran 19.4 consistently at cayuga before i took it out in favour of the 2332.

later,
pete

Rob
June 30th 2003, 16:24
Hey Pete,

Well I guess I would need it for as long as I have the Bug :D

Just kidding, I really appreciate the help, but the bug is not my daily driver, so i'm not in a really big pinch.
Plus I would hate myself if I killed a borrowed motor.

So, I need to fix my engine either way, I'll probably pull it tonight or this weekend, and let you guys know what I find.

I have to say; The BoxerAutoGruppe is off to a great start with people helping eachother out !! Pretty cool !!! :cool: :cool:

Thanks,

Rob.