PDA

View Full Version : IMPORTANT UPDATE: Hydraulic Clutch Info

Shad Laws
June 30th 2003, 14:32
Hello-

Anyone having or considering a hydraulic clutch system for their tranny needs to read this. It is VERY important.

Do NOT, repeat, do NOT use the high-strength nylon hydraulic lines that are equipped with many hydraulic clutch systems.

Do yourself a HUGE favor and get metal lines. The threads on most aftermarket systems are just 1/8"NPT, so fittings and lines are easy and cheap to find at a FLAPS. You will need less pedal travel, have less pedal effort, and a much crisper response.

Oh, yah, and the line won't fail on you the day before you are expecting multiple family members to fly into town, forcing you to drive around downtown Chicago (one of the most traffic-infested places ever!) in rush hour to get to and from the airport with no clutch, all the while destroying your shift rod and multiple expensive Porsche transmission components. When you remove the over-fatigued nylon line from your car, you'll find ZERO signs of a problem - the line *looks* just fine. But, you know well that even after bleeding it several times, it would not function, and the metal line works better than the nylon one ever did, even as new.

I speak from personal experience :-).

I've heard many people talk about how it works fine for them, and that's great. But, with my 2300# pressure plate, it does not. CNC (the manufacturer of the slave cylinder) balked at the idea of plastic lines, and now I know why.

Take care,

Alex
June 30th 2003, 14:38
Good to know.
I was wondering about that plastic line anyways.
I have not put it in yet. I will a get a steel line. So the thread is 1/8th NPT.

Have to find some fittings now.

Thanks for the warning.

Alex

Ron Roberts
June 30th 2003, 17:17
Are you using the hydraulics because of the Porsche tranny, or because it is just plain better? I've often considered going to Hydraulics for my stock tranny and clutch, but since it aint broke.....
Also I plan to move up to a Jake engine/ tranny combo in the future.
LOL one of these days Shad, all that is going to be left of your VW is the emblem!

Ron

chigger
July 3rd 2003, 00:09
We use alot of plastic line for air powered equipment at work. It is only 150# pressure and it fails alot. The tubing loses its strength easily if it comes in contact with any kind of solvent. It also doesn't like heat at all. I definately would not recomend it for any critical hydraulic application. But it is cheap.

Shad Laws
July 3rd 2003, 12:41
Hello-

Are you using the hydraulics because of the Porsche tranny, or because it is just plain better?

Two reasons:
- Porsche tranny, so a flexible activation mechanism is nice for fabrication
- very heavy pressure plate - the biggest KEP makes for the 215mm Porsche. This _IS_ a daily-driven car, so stretched and broken clutch cables aren't an option :-).

I've often considered going to Hydraulics for my stock tranny and clutch, but since it aint broke.....

I wouldn't bother for a stock tranny and clutch. Waste of money and effort.

LOL one of these days Shad, all that is going to be left of your VW is the emblem!

...and the sad part is that I've taken every emblem except one off the car :-).

Take care,

Wally
July 3rd 2003, 17:14
Thanks for the warning Shad! I just got my SACO hydraulic clutch kit air mailed in last week, so for me you are just in time with your info. The folks at ISP-West were really friendly and helpfull as you said they would.
Since my clutch will operate the 225mm 915 pressure plate, I guess it would have a hard job as well, so the update is a well spend extra insurance.
I just don't know any FLAPS around here, but I'am sure i'll find another local auto parts store thats friendly too.. lol
Thanks again: really appreciate this!
Walter

Shad Laws
July 3rd 2003, 18:23
Hello-

Thanks for the warning Shad! I just got my SACO hydraulic clutch kit air mailed in last week, so for me you are just in time with your info.

Whew! :-)

The folks at ISP-West were really friendly and helpfull as you said they would.

Many people bad-mouth them, but I really like doing business with them. When the shift rod broke, I called them and told them what happened, and they sent me a new one with overnight shipping for free. I didn't demand, request, or even hint that I wanted a freebie, but they gave it to me. Good people.

I just don't know any FLAPS around here, but I'am sure i'll find another local auto parts store thats friendly too.. lol

:-)

Take care,