PDA

View Full Version : Poll: What to do with Body Molding?

vujade
July 2nd 2003, 10:43
Well guys I am at the point in my body & paint work where I need to decide what to do with the stock body molding.

My choices are keep it black, paint it body color or shave it off.

zen
July 2nd 2003, 15:01
shave the body trim and paint headlight rings, handles, etc body color.

Racelook
July 2nd 2003, 17:03
Jep Zen
That's also my opinion!!!

NYBugman1972
July 2nd 2003, 17:46
Say goodbye to the trim. Shave it and paint any chrome you can find. That's what I'm going to do as soon as I get my order from LA Performance in.

vujade
July 3rd 2003, 11:23
Im leaning towards shaving the trim.
Not so much because you guys all like it, but because I have
always wanted to do a bug with shaved trim and havent done one yet.

Besides, I like shaved nice & clean :D

lightning bug
July 3rd 2003, 14:37
I posted something like this before. Are you doing it to the notch or Super? Forgive me, I haven't been on the forums in a while (work). My Super will be blue as well with no trim, black handles all around for some kind of contrast, black running boards, black rear badge, and color-coded headlight rings. Chrome isn't so bad. I wasn't really a fan of chrome but now that I'm putting another Rabbit GTI back together, I've bought early chrome door handles and early chrome euro bumpers from Germany. Looks hot on an all black car... I'll post pics when I can.... waiting for the bumpers.

vujade
July 3rd 2003, 14:43
Im doing it to my Super. I didnt get the Notch.

I was going with Blue with Black Trim, but am now leaning to just more blue with all chrome painted to match the body. (Except for body molding which I will shave)

CPRcubed
July 3rd 2003, 14:45
Shave it! It's easier to wax! Cheers!

vujade
July 3rd 2003, 14:46
waxing is definitely nicer :D

Bugnutz
July 3rd 2003, 15:01
Vujade, I spent my .02 worth and weighed in for shaving the trim off.

On my car I removed the body and window rubber trim strips, blacked out the vent wings and door glass scraper frames, painted the tail light lens rings and the seal beam retainers black, painted the headlight trim rings to match the body and left the door, trunk and engine lid handles chrome. (no nicks that way)

That said, I once removed, sandblasted and painted all the body and window trim pieces satin black on an elm green 1970 standard beetle, and the car had a fabulous look that a lot of people commented favorably on.

Bottom line is that the whole thing is totally subjective, so do what's best to your eye.

If you do remove the body trim strips, a high wattage Weller soldering gun and common electrical solder will help you close up the holes with no shrinkage and cracking as with body filler.

-Mark (Bugnutz)

NCbug
July 4th 2003, 11:49
id definately shave it off .... it looks so much smoother and nicer

Phat73VW
July 6th 2003, 19:40
definetely shaved....thats the route im going. its just so clean and one less thing to worry about. my repaint is coming up real soon and i cant wait to do it along with my other mods.

Douglas
July 8th 2003, 10:45
Hey VUJADE,
Are you going to enter any shows? If you are and you shave the trim, be darn sure that there are no waves left in the bodywork. There is nothing worse than nice paint with 2nd class work on the body. What I am saying is if you do it, do it right. Period.

I don't want to see any waves in the body and you know that the judges look for that when the trim is removed. I have watched the judges at the shows and the first thing you see them doing is sighting down the side of my car. Wow them here and the rest is easy.
Just my 2cents and it's the truth.

It is much nicer to wax without the trim.

Doug:^)

vujade
July 8th 2003, 11:14
Douglas

yes i am going to enter shows with it and I have decided to shave the trim.

Douglas
July 8th 2003, 11:31
Cool, Do it right!
I'm going to check your work at Bug Jam ;^)
Have fun, Take care,
Doug:)

vujade
July 8th 2003, 12:20
Douglas

I am shooting for Bug Jam to have most of it done by.
It should be painted in the next two weeks.
Then comes putting it all back together.
Last will be my engine :)

Douglas
July 8th 2003, 13:40
OK here is my car without the side trim. Soooo..... What does it need to be a German Look. I know I need some 17s but I have no idea which ones to choose. My engine is a 1776 so a little small but I had Jake build it and it has some extra HP. So Wadaya think I should do????????
Doug

vujade
July 8th 2003, 14:28
those wheels dont look bad either
you could keep them for now I would think.
If you really want to go for Porsche 17's, I would give Wheel Enhancement a call. They have new wheels, used wheels & new car take offs.

Btw, you should join the VKG (Volksport Käfer Gruppe)
We are the Premier Southeastern US German Look Club (And the only US based GL club for that matter)

lightning bug
July 8th 2003, 18:58
Honestly, I think its German look as is. Your bumpers are color coded and you have 914 style wheels. Also, you don't need a big displacement to be GL.

zen
July 8th 2003, 21:19
looks pretty damn good already. 17s are always nice, but what you have works for the look. any lightning is right, large dispacement is not required. HP is nice though and sounds like you may have some. did jake dyno your engine? do you know how much is there? just curious.

Douglas
July 9th 2003, 11:35
Hi Zen and the rest of ya,
Jake built my engine before he had his dyno. But working with his charts & stuff it is supposed to have about 110-120 hp +-. haven't had it on a chassis dyno or anything but it is pretty spunky. We needed extra HP to drive the AC unit. The engine works and looks great. Hmmm. Trying to remember the specifics.

1776, ported heads (mucho extra), his special grind cam, 8:1 compression, dual weber 40 idf, cb linkage, balanced, all original tin with thermostat, I forget the size exhaust but it has a single quiet pack muffler Thunderbird, Berg oil sump and all that stuff that Jake does so well.
Doug

Vincent
July 16th 2003, 12:15
What ac unit are you running?

Douglas
July 16th 2003, 14:38
Hi Vincent,
My AC unit is from ICE in California. I had to make some changes to the bracketry and condenser location. One of the condensers is supposed to fit between the engine tin and firewall.

Don't know about others but there was no way it would fit with my stock tin and stainless firewall. I relocated that condenser to the space above the transmission and installed an electric fan to supply the air flow. Had to have some new lines made to get the proper length. I also installed an idle solenoid that kicks on when the compressor is triggered. It works fine and blows really cold air. It is a 134a system.

Probably the toughest part of the install was fitting the front condenser and blower fans. It is just a really tight fit. It might have been made more difficult because my front apron is a reproduction and the curvature is a little different. Anyhow, it works well and keeps me cool. It is nice to be able to close the windows and block out the wind noise.

My only gripe is that the evaporator box under the dash makes it really difficult to check or replace fuses on my 71 Super. Hasn't been a problem but it haunts me. If I were to start again I would modify the evaporator box or rewire with an aftermarket streetrod style fuse box that is accessible from the trunk.
Doug

vujade
July 16th 2003, 17:10
Douglas when are you going to join the VKG?

:D :D :D

Douglas
July 16th 2003, 18:21
Ah, well um, er, Soon?
Doug ;^)

vujade
July 16th 2003, 19:54
Didnt mean to put you on the spot. but we need all the members we can get in Florida. Right now most of our members are in Georgia.

zen
July 16th 2003, 20:58
Doug,

i'm heading down friday. will contact you early in the week to hook up. looking forward to checking out that fine car.

vujade
July 16th 2003, 21:03
zen you coming down here again?

Douglas
July 17th 2003, 10:16
OK Zen,
Sounds good. I look forward to meeting you in person.
Thanks,
Doug

zen
July 17th 2003, 13:53
Originally posted by vujade
zen you coming down here again?

yep. this time for vacation though. just hitting naples and maybe visit a friend in venice.