PDA

View Full Version : painting carbon fiber

NCbug
July 7th 2003, 20:31
can carbon fiber be painted without a noticable appearance between painted steel and painted carbon fiber?

thanx alot

Phat73VW
July 8th 2003, 02:35
now i am not a formost expert on c/f but i would think its the same as painting fiberglass. there isnt any noticable difference in painting that than steel now is there? so why should c/f be any different? carbon joe your thoughts? i mean as long as the surface is perfectly smooth and prepped right it should be ok...i dont know just my 2 cents :D

zen
July 8th 2003, 08:24
yes it can, but i don't know the prep required. joe is building me a "paintable" decklid. he will be making ones that are intended to stay c/f. the amount of work is much higher for the ones he is building to stay c/f.

BeerRocket
July 12th 2003, 19:40
I'm guessing you'd probably need to add a flex additive to your paint. I have a Buell motorcycle and all the bodywork is plastic so and I have to use a flex additive when I paint it or the paint would crack, and I'm guessing carbon fiber would be real similar?

Carbon Joe
July 16th 2003, 01:57
Yes C/F can be painted, just do the usual prep and use a good quality urethane paint.