PDA

View Full Version : carpet questions

zen
July 15th 2003, 08:23
for those of you running carpet...

1. has anyone bought carpet from aircooled.net? quality? manufactorer?

2. loop or pile preferred?

Ron Roberts
July 15th 2003, 09:38
I have examined the TMI carpet which is what John sells. It is really nice. There is a VW restoration shop near me, so I got to see the carpet and talk to someone who has used alot of it. For the Loop carpet the guy said for some reason the oatmeal stands up better over time where as the other color carpets will flatten over time.

Ron

bren
July 15th 2003, 10:20
i tried several pre-made kits and i wasnt impressed with any of them.. ended up making my own from unbacked acoustic carpet. it stretches and bends unlike the stuff in kits.. meaning the front quarters and channels end up with a very neat, tight fit and you can cover what ever you want to cover. it also doesnt fray like most carpet off the roll, so doesnt need binding on the edges.. makes a very clean, neat, install.

oh and its about half the weight of most other carpets.. ;)

Vincent
July 15th 2003, 11:26
ben do you have some pics of your carpet installed?

Ron Roberts
July 15th 2003, 15:31
Bren, Where do you buy that carpet? If you have underlayment will the stretched carpet pull the underlayment? In other words, do you need to stick it directly to metal?

Thanks
Ron

vujade
July 15th 2003, 16:28
I need to make a decision soon on carpet also and was wondering who makes a kit for the rear seat area, once the rear seat is removed completely.

jhelgesen
July 15th 2003, 16:32
I had put a grey carpet kit in the blue bug, was from tmi. I paid extra for the fabric edging, looked okay, but the fabric edge turned tan in less than a year and the car wasn't in the sun that much. Fit was good though.

Alex
July 15th 2003, 16:39
Go to a carpet place an buy a piece and cut it yourself and get the edges done.

Never bought a kit. I always made them myself and they always fit and looked better than the bought ones I saw.

Alex

zen
July 15th 2003, 16:47
i bought one for my '59 ooohhhhh 20 years ago. it fit well and looked good, but i only had the car about 2 years. i have to do a custom job on my rear area anyway so i may do it custom everywhere. i really like the cloth binding though. can that be done after install? or did you cut it first, mock for fit and then remove and take it for binding?

NO_H2O
July 15th 2003, 17:58
TMI makes a good kit as does SewFine(might be TMI resold). The Empi carpet kit sux. I will redo mine with TMI next time.

zen
July 15th 2003, 22:17
porsche polar silver paint
black headliner
black momo seats
carbonfiber door panels
black momo wheel
body color shifter

black loop carpet with black binding?

or

black loop carpet with grey binding?

Ron Roberts
July 16th 2003, 00:57
medium to dark Grey!

Ron

NO_H2O
July 16th 2003, 08:10
Charcoal w/black or grey binding

Alex
July 16th 2003, 10:51
You fit it first and then you bring it away for the edges. This way you will have perfect fit. You only get the edges done that you can actually see. the others will tuck away under another edge or so. If the carpet meets at a 90 degree angle you do NOT get the edge done. You have to make sure though that the cut is good. Then both edges will cover each other and it looks seemless.

Alex

bren
July 16th 2003, 12:38
i have no pics of my own carpet, but have these pics of a mates bug taken before the headlining and seats went in. i did the carpet for him last easter.. still looks great (he's won a couple of trophies ;) )

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid42/p4ef0f0fc5312584733dc2f9dda606d4c/fcf28eb0.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid32/p6627679bc902e03094c0a73540cb8b20/fd414fbb.jpg

the carpet is just plain old acoustic carpet.. unbacked, and i stick it straight over painted metal areas.. or if soundproofing is needed.. over dynamat.. i dont believe in underfelt.. it just promotes corrosion.

zen
July 16th 2003, 14:14
hey, that steering wheel is on the wrong side! :D :eek: :rolleyes2:

looks really good.

zen
July 16th 2003, 21:13
to keep it simple and avoid that slight color mismatch of the carpet being just a few shades off from the paint (big difference works, small difference bugs me) i went with black/black and the kit from ac.net. i want my car done. don't need even more custom work slowing it down. i have more than enough of that already lined up.