PDA

View Full Version : CF and Aluminum front beam?

jjstafford
July 18th 2003, 10:27
CF and Aluminum front beam? Too crazy? Too expensive?

I was browsing our university composites materials factory and research facility and saw some CF/Aluminum (I think it was aluminum) drive shafts, bicycle tubing, shovels, canoe padels and so forth. Crazy ideas came to mind. Is the above question just plain nuts?

vujade
July 18th 2003, 10:41
I sure that it could be done, but why would you want it on a street beetle? wouldnt it make the front end to light?

jjstafford
July 18th 2003, 12:23
Originally posted by vujade
I sure that it could be done, but why would you want it on a street beetle? wouldnt it make the front end to light?

Yes, it would but is that a bad thing?

vujade
July 18th 2003, 14:10
I guess it all depends on the application of the car.

if you are drag racing a light front end is good, but if you are building your car for handling good, then a really light front end will make it tail heavy in the corners.

jjstafford
July 18th 2003, 14:28
You are right, of course. Sorry to stretch the thread farther than it should have been.

vujade
July 18th 2003, 14:55
no sweat :D

I enjoy a good conversation...

kdanie
July 18th 2003, 17:19
I say lighter is better, if you lighten the front-lighten the rear to match!! I always laugh when I hear people tell me that they add weight to the front for handling, their going backwards....
ken

vujade
July 18th 2003, 18:17
well I wouldnt add weight to the front, but I would definitely move it forward from the rear to balance it out better.

kdanie
July 19th 2003, 00:05
I agree, if you've got to carry the weight, by choice or necessity-put it where it works the best.

I have know people that have thrown 100lb of ballast in the spare tire well to help handling. Hmmm, if it's darty at speed, lower the nose a little and put one of Carbon Joes little spoilers on the roof.... sounds simple to me...

Hell, my stock '68 trash bug daily driver is very darty at 75mph, who cares, it helps keep me awake!!

Back to the original topic: I think a front beam with carbon fiber/aluminum tubes and aluminum ends is quite do able and would be really cool for a GL that had the $$ to spend on it. It would look really sweet under a GL Manx buggy. Form vs. function, it would drop about 50 lbs of the front (that's function enough for me).
ken