PDA

View Full Version : porsche 17

blue4400
August 23rd 2002, 11:44
I have a 1970 beetle with a 3 inch narrowed front beam. I also have some porsche wheels 17x7 & 17x8.5 will the wheels fit?

69_Dreamz
August 23rd 2002, 18:58
not a lot of info given about the rim so I'll try to make the most of the info given

First thing to consider about the rim is the offset? do you have Disc or drums brakes? How low will the car be? Do you plan on using spacers? Did you lower the front using Dropped spindles or via the torsion adjusters? Sorry for all the questions but there is no way to know if it will fit without the above questions being answered. There are alot of wheels out there that are 17x7 and 17x8.5 so be kinda careful before putting out the cash.

Hope that helps::)

The rim on my car (69) is a 17x7 with a 38 offset front and rear. Neither stick out but being that I have a "normal" length beam, my turning radius is shorter/smaller than the average bug. About 2 and a half turns lock to lock. A narrowed beam with spacers would correct this but no need to spend another 4 bills to do that! :~)

blue4400
August 25th 2002, 22:14
Its a 1970 beetle with the regular IRS suspension, fender and rear drum brakes. I have a set of porsche boxster wheels 7x8.5. Will the rims tuck in fine or will it stick out??

Alex
August 25th 2002, 22:29
They should be fine.
Boxster rims have an offset of ET 55 in the front and ET50 in the back for 8.5" rim. With a 3 inch narrowed beam in the front you will have no problem at all. You will have to get a big spacer though. Same for the rear if you keep the drums. The spacer for the rear might be 26-30mm wide. I suggest getting washers and to mount the rim with the washers as your spacers and then meassure the washer width to dtermine the best spacer. Otherwise you buy one and it might be too wide or too narrow.

Alex

blue4400
August 26th 2002, 10:18
With a 3inch narrowed beam it won't rub when you turn all the way? 17x7 front wheels

Alex
August 26th 2002, 14:56
Yes they will but that is were the big spacer comes into place and you will have to limit your steering box.

alex

NYBugman1972
August 27th 2002, 09:30
In the rear of my 72 super I'll be running the 8.5" wheels with drums. I'm also using a 1" spacer and a 1 1/4" wider rear fender to get everything to fit. The 8.5" wheel with tire will not fit without it, unless you tub out the rear end. I have no problems with doing any of the mods I had to do, though. I dont know what you want to do, though.