PDA

View Full Version : new dash?

ShApE
July 25th 2003, 14:33
ive been thinkin about buying this dash for a while click here (http://www.glass-action.com/new_images/unique_dash_2.GIF) anyone know if its hard to cut fibre glass. or possibley put some cloth over it and the console??

Supa Ninja
July 25th 2003, 14:49
It's very easy to cut fiberglass.

Nick

Superman
July 25th 2003, 17:34
http://www.superbeetlesonly.com/interior/di.html :D

ShApE
July 25th 2003, 18:38
thanks alot, now if i can find someone who can help me re-wire my bug!

Ron Roberts
July 26th 2003, 19:37
rewiring can be a nightmare if you are as ignorant as me. But there is hope. Study the Bently manual, and take it one wire at a time, (or one circuit at a time) and it CAN actually start to make sense. The problem is with the stock system there are alot of things tied together. If every load had its own switch and its own wire to the battery it would be simpler, but a massive amount of wires. If you are planning to have all aftermarket guages you might check out Wattsons streetworks for their full system consisting of wire harness and fuse panel. If you are keeping the stock guages, the watsons might still be a good bet but it was never clear to me from talking to them how their kits adapted to the different years and models with different instrument clusters. What I did was buy a 14 slot fuse panel for the blade type fuses and use it for added accessories like more guages, remote oil cooler fan etc. and a few other items like the wipers. This cleans up the mess on the stock fuse panel which can be used for things like flashers and whatever you don't feel up to messing with.

Ron

ShApE
July 26th 2003, 22:52
thanks Ron I'll check them out. i spent about an hour (which seems like 8 with no garage in texas) lookin at the wires in my super. it started to make a little sense so not all hope is lost but i will probably have to re-wire my bug.

beetle1303
September 5th 2003, 19:03
As Ron said you should by a manual. I bought the Hayne's and on this subject is really good. I haven't seen the Bentley's but in the Hayne's you will find very easy to understand diagrams.
I re wired half of my beetle by my self cos the previous owner had done things really wrong and there were loose cables that would provide me with nice shortcuts. Another reason was that my bug was crashed when I bought him and I wanted everything to be stock again

I believe that you will have solved your problem by now, but I thought to let you know. Im a new member and I have lost the date on some discussions.

Chris (beetle1303)

Superman
September 5th 2003, 23:22
The Bentley is a little more complicated than the Hanyes because it has a flow chart; for the average person I would suggest the Hanyes (simple wiring). Usually it's best to have both in some cases.

beetle1303
September 6th 2003, 06:30
I dont insist on my opinion since I cant judge between the two manuals

super vw
November 9th 2003, 17:17
So does any one have this glass action dash instaled in there car? how is the fit and how do you like it? i need a new dash to house more guages and such and was thinking this dash or the porsche 911 look one, but i have not found a porsche look one in the states so i think my only option is to go with a glass action dash. I was going to mod my orignal one (i have it down the bare metal) but i think it would be easier to get a whole new one already made.

-Jonathan