PDA

View Full Version : Sandblasting

Rob
July 27th 2003, 14:25
Since I've got the engine out and cut out the rear apron, I'm trying to make the engine compartement look better.

The previous owner had an undercoating fetish and pretty much covered everything with the sticky stuff.

I've been able to get rid of most of it with paint thinner, but I'd really fell better if I could just have the whole compartement sandblasted.

Does any autobody shop do this ? Is it expensive to do ?
Can I have 'only' the engine compartment blasted ?
Any local shops you recommend ?

Thanks,

Rob.

ShApE
July 28th 2003, 17:47
well i asked a question regarding sandblasting and from what got its not a very good idea. but i could be wrong

Racelook
July 28th 2003, 18:02
Ow yeah it can be sandblasted....

I do hole the car by my own...especcialy al the inside corners where i cant come with my Dremel, etc.... But i work with not so high amount of Bar / Psi so there is almost no change that the metal is going to bend...

It also depends on what material the blaster use... with plastic blastmaterial you sercentanly don't get any bumps.

Rob
July 28th 2003, 19:52
Hey Shape, yeah, I saw your post just after I submitted mine :p
I was hoping somebody local could point me to a shop, but I think
I'll try it with a wirewheel first.

It's just there are so many corners in that engine room that makes it a PITA..

Rob.

BWE
July 29th 2003, 21:57
Hey Rob, you might want to try Universal Blasting Services. They are mobile and so will come to you. They do 'exotic' media blasting as well ie: soda, walnut shells, plasic pellets, etc. I've never used them but I'm sure they would be able to just blast the engine compartment. Office: 905.544.2666 or Mobile: 905.541.9994.
Good luck!
Dave

Rob
July 30th 2003, 07:56
Thanks Dave ! I'll give them a call.

Rob.

Rob
August 1st 2003, 12:08
Looks like they are no longer in business :(

Rob.