PDA

View Full Version : Is a 911/01 transmission a good fit for a Germanlooker?

randyj
August 11th 2003, 14:20
I am looking at buying a 911/01 transmission.

I am looking for comments on ease of installation and suitability for use with a T4 engine in a 1975 1303 Germanlooker.

Would the gear ratios need to be modified for use with the T4?

Thanks,
Randy:confused:

Shad Laws
August 11th 2003, 14:50
Hello-

I am looking at buying a 911/01 transmission.

One problem you're going to have is that in 1970, Porsche switched the 911 over to a pull-type, 225mm clutch. So, you have another hurdle to jump over :-). You can either get a special flywheel then use the 911 clutch disc and plate, or somehow convert the tranny back to a push-type clutch.

An earlier 901 would be simpler, although they aren't as strong. A later 914 gearbox, which has the same reinforced case as the 911, uses the correct clutch, but then you have to flip the diff and redo the shifting. Ah... ya just can't win :-).

Take care,

jhelgesen
August 11th 2003, 15:50
Shad,

Can you just take the clutch arm from a 914 and use it in a 911/01 tranny (if you happend to have both sitting in your shop ;) )?

bugsoup
August 11th 2003, 17:30
Does it make sense to either use a hydraulic clutch setup to eliminate the need to adapter the push/pull configurations? Or, could the arm simply be flipped? The only problems I could see making this not work would be clearance for the arm or if it is keyed to only allow origianl installation. I am not farmiliar with Porsche trannies, so please bear with me and let me know how these might work.

kdanie
August 11th 2003, 18:45
The difference in the push/pull clutches is not the arm but the way the pressure plate/release bearing works. Push clutches are just like a "normal" clutch, the release bearing pushes on the pressure plate (toward the flywheel) to release the disk. Pull clutches have the release bearing attached to the pressure plate and the arm pulls the release bearing (away from the flywheel) to release the clutch.

I have heard that the 915 trans (also uses the pull clutch) has successfully been converted to the early 901 type clutch but I don't know the specifics. When I measured my 915 and 914 clutch/flywheel I found it would not fit inside the bellhousing so I sold the 915 and bought a 902 5 speed from a '69 912 (just like a 901).
ken