PDA

View Full Version : How to type in German???

Panelfantastic
August 15th 2003, 09:17
How do I get Microsoft word to put the two dots (sorry I don't know the correct name for it, trying to learn though :( ) over the characters?? Seems like there is a combination of keystrokes that will do it without downloading a whole langauge package, yes?

vujade
August 15th 2003, 09:20
I know if you want to type the ä as in Käfer, you must hold down the ALt key and type 132 at the same time.

As far as other letters I dont know. Maybe Alex does?

Richie
August 15th 2003, 10:02
Hi,
Indeed, hold the ALTkey and type 148 for ö or 129 for ü. I guess that together with the ä you've got most of the difficult ones covered.;)

Cheers,
Richard

Panelfantastic
August 15th 2003, 10:21
You guys are the greatest!
Trying to figure out a neat license (tag/plate) for my bus. I want something in German that is obviously German but can only be seven letters or less. I know DOT won't use German characters and it is illegal for me to "modify" my plate ... but if a pair of "dirt specks" accidentally stuck above one of the letters.....
I found several possibles but the usage isn't exactly correct for what I intend.... wadda you guys think?
Gängig - fast moving
Tüchtig - fast
Niedrig - low
über59

vujade
August 15th 2003, 10:41
Jeff I have been thinking about going with 'GL Käfer' for my 1302.

ShApE
August 15th 2003, 14:18
╢ ╩ ô µ ☼

oasis
August 15th 2003, 15:04
I thought schnell was "fast" or "quickly" and tüchtig was "efficiently." But, I ain't no expert cuz I wuzn't learned gooder German.

-René

zen
August 15th 2003, 16:26
easiest way to get a full view of character sets is to (depending on your operating system) go to Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools/Character Map (or Start/Run/charmap.exe). You can then highlight the one you want, hit Select, hit Copy, then paste it into whereever you are trying to put it.

Panelfantastic
August 15th 2003, 18:15
Rene' , you are correct. I thought about schnell but it looks too much like a last name. Tüchtig is also shown to mean fast according to this http://dict.leo.org/?search=fast&searchLoc=0&relink=on&spellToler=standard&sectHdr=on&tableBorder=1&cmpType=relaxed&lang=en but the tense or use or sumpthin' seems wrong. Everytime I find what I think will be cool, it has to be used with another word or words to mean what I want it to or the usage is just way off.
Of course 99.9% of the people won't have a clue what it says, but when someone DOES recognize it, I don't want to look like I'm trying to butcher the German langauge:eek: .