PDA

View Full Version : gearbox identification

Stuart
August 26th 2003, 15:37
I've got a 1979 1303 "vert". Yesterday while I was cleaning the gearbox I looked at the identification number to see what kind of gearbox it was. On the passangerside there is a VW number starting with 113 and at the end a "K". Is this a AK gearbox then?????? Help welcome!

Michael Ghia
August 26th 2003, 17:33
The code you are looking for is stamped into the case, not cast into it.
The code is situated on a machined surface up at the front end of the gearbox. The machined surface sits at 45o to the ground on the right hand side facing the right wheel. You'll need a wire brush.
Have a look at the Performance Ghia website, there is a engine and transmissions code page there.
http://www.performanceghia.com

MG

Bruce2
September 14th 2003, 06:20
Michael, do you know where an accurate trans code list could be found? That one you have on your site is one of the most inaccurate lists I have ever seen. Its got so many mistakes that it has almost no value.

Superman
September 14th 2003, 07:11
Keep in mind that the one posted on his site is for European spec cars.

Michael Ghia
September 14th 2003, 08:24
Bruce,
As Superman pointed out, the list is for European transmissions... I've not found a mistake in it yet but if you can let me know what is wrong and where, I'll do my best to make it right.
MG

Bruce2
September 15th 2003, 05:19
I don't know if there's enough room for me to type all the mistakes. ;-)

I'll start going down the list with mistakes off the top of my head.

AG Fridolin only. A friend of mine at Rancho was telling me of an unusual and very desireable mainshaft he found in an AG single side cover IRS trans. All Frids were swing axle, so what was this one?

AK, AL T181. I have seen literally hundreds of T181 g'boxes in my searching in Mexico. Not once have I found an AK or AL. They are always AV and AW. AV being 4.12R&P, T181 flanges, AW is the same with ZF LSD. But your list doesn't include AV and AW. All USA spec T181s have AV g'boxes, never AW.

AT is the the most common code for a single side cover IRS over here. They were fitted to Cabriolets, and Supers as well as torsion bar standard Beetles. I own 3 standard (1300 flat screen) Beetles with AT SSC g'boxes.

I'm helping a friend rebuild his g'box. Its unusual for over here in that its a 72 swing axle trans. Starting in 69, all USA delivered Beetles were IRS, but in Canada, we got some swing axles. This swing trans is code AY with a 4.125 R&P. It has some of the upgrades found in single side cover IRS g'boxes Where is that one on your list?

In my garage right now I have a CY trans I found in a "Yonke" (junkyard) in Mexico. Its a single side cover IRS trans with a 4.625 R&P, 3.78/2.06/1.36/1.04 factory close ratio gears. And finally T181 drive flanges. Its from a VW Hormiga, a light urban flat deck single cab type delivery vehicle. Since finding this g'box, I have seen 3 more.

The most common gearbox to find in Mexico today is code PE. Its built like the early swing axles, with threaded shafts and all keyed gears and a 4.375 R&P.

I find it highly unlikely that VW would install a LSD in an autostick. Has anyone ever seen one of those codes? In fact, the only LSDs I've ever seen were in T181s. Has anyone ever found any of those codes listed for Beetles and KGs with LSD?

Wally
September 15th 2003, 07:54
Hi Bruce,
You seem to have a lot of experience, so your opinion is greatly appreciated by me, but nearly all (I don't really if there have been IRS Fridolins, talk about a rare car..) of your mentioned 'mistakes' seem just omissions to me.
Like Superman said, it is very complete (and corrct) for European cars; The mentioning of a lot of far away (to us anyway) countries and rare models (never even heard of a VW Hormiga) helps to add to the list for sure, but not correct it.
Michaels list is very helpfull to 95% of the people that are looking for a trans code identification in GB, Germany, Benelux countrys etc...

Thanks very much for the info tho, please do add your findings of interesting and sought after trans codes (and the why of that) here!
Where are you located in the world?

Cheers,
Walter