PDA

View Full Version : crazy question!

ShApE
August 28th 2003, 00:48
ok u know those fiberglass 911 style dashes for bugs? lets say u like the paddedness of a real dash and don't want to paint fiberglass because if ur moms ring accidentally hits the paint u'll have an ugly scrape on ur dash. i was thinking and i can't really see anything that would ruin it if u rhino lined the dash. it would obviously give it the firmer feel and feel more sturdy and protect against the sun (not fading) and if there is a freak battery spill nothing would happen to ur dash. so am i missing something or is it an "ok" idea?

vujade
August 28th 2003, 00:52
i think it would look absolutely awesome if you covered it with leather, then it would look like areal 911.

ShApE
August 28th 2003, 01:17
yah that would be kool too!

elroocky
August 28th 2003, 07:07
same for me, in my 1303S racing beetle, my dash is a 911 look from remmele, it's painted as same as the body of the car... it's looks okey, but it make it too simple.. the dust apear alway's on... and that's borring ... and the other side in my 1303 LS convertible GL, (in member ride you see the dash) it's a hoffmann model, recovered with leather now, as same as the inside or the car and door panel. the leather come from Audi, because all inside of my car is from an AUDI TT model, it's looks much better than a painted one..can't compare.. no change... so just go for it.. it will look awesome... compared to painted dash..

david

Sandeep
August 28th 2003, 10:34
Hi David,

Do you have any pictures of your 1303S racing beetle that you could share with us ?

Thanks

Sandeep

elroocky
August 29th 2003, 07:49
no prob, got a few pics.. see file attached...

racing1303S.jpg

car was not finished, it was the last week's at remmele, just for a check.. and a few changes..

new fenders, new shock ar rear IDA adjustment and valve play control..

david

super vw
September 2nd 2003, 14:32
right now im taking the padding off my 1303 dash, i have gotten about half of it off. but i would like to say there is plenty of small holes and such (some larger ones if you want) that need to be welded closed. and the metal behind the pad is very thin( very light :D) so some strengthing might be needed in key areas (some small ribs on the back would help here). carbon fiber block off plates would also be a cool idea to fill some of the larger holes ( radio area, and switch board)

I will try and get some pics once im done with removing the pading to show you guys whats behind the pad(or whats NOT)

:silly: this is a crazy mod but i think its going to look real nice once compleated!:D

Superman
September 2nd 2003, 23:46
There is some info to be found on this post at my forum:

www.superbeetlesonly.com/cgi-bin/iB3/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=21;t=86 (http://www.superbeetlesonly.com/cgi-bin/iB3/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=21;t=86)