PDA

View Full Version : help with flange

Stuart
August 29th 2003, 16:54
Pulled today the flanges of my 1303 1979 "vert" to replace them by 181 flanges. When I had the VW flange in my hand I saw some kind of thin metal ring on the backside of the flange. Is this a part of the flange or a seperate sealing ring of sime kind. I saw that the 181 flange had a similar ring but it was bend a liite bit against the flange. It this a replacment part? Every help welcome.

chigger
August 30th 2003, 09:47
The thin metal flange attaches the boot to the CV. Depending on your replacement parts some have the new flange and some just have the boot. Save them until you find out what is available.

bugsoup
September 1st 2003, 18:25
I just did the same swap on mine. Are talking about the "washer" that is a tight fit on the transmission side of the flange? I didn't see where this washer went on the 181 flange but I think its just a deflector for large debris. Sort of like the one that is on the crankshaft of the engine, behind the pulley. Anyway, this probably don't help you, but I am just going to leave it off.

zen
September 1st 2003, 22:03
so are you doing a tech article stuart? hint, hint. might save the rest of us that are slightly behind you some trouble and based on the contest announcement just made, you could win something on top of it. :D