PDA

View Full Version : Headliner.... inside roof

Racelook
September 19th 2003, 14:23
pffff.. I'm verry bad in english but I want to know if there are any guys who drives round without canopy (i don't know if that is the word but that is what stood in the dictionary)???

So without any interiour seeling on the inside of the roof???

Is this to do? Or are you going crazy of the noise?? And how is the noise in the rain??
I'm on the point to remove the hooks where the canopy is fixed to..

I hope someone could response..

Greetings Wiebrand

Supa Ninja
September 19th 2003, 14:34
I haven't yet but I'm planning on removing my "Headliner". I know the weight savings are very small, but I'm going for the minimalist approach.
I have no idea how much noisier it's going to be.

Nick

zen
September 19th 2003, 16:04
the noise to weight ratio :D is not acceptable to me. the little bit of weight is well worth the drop in outside noise, etc. not will you lose the sound dampening, but it will actually be amplified by reflections.

just my opinion though. i have seen cars that run without and it can be a cool look. i was going to clean up the channels and run a c/f headliner, but bailed for several reasons. one was i decided to go with a ragtop. the other is that it would do nothing but reflect sound, much like running with no headliner.

Racelook
September 19th 2003, 16:38
Ow yeah.. an headliner.. that was what i meaned :rolleyes:

I find it verry cool looking without headliner... hmmzz and i haven't thought off that soundsreflecting thing...

Is there any way to absorb that reflection in another way???
... I must say that there will be now carpet or other internpanels (ecept of my doorpanels) In that doorpanels will be made the only boxes in the car... (because i have no other room for it)

Greetings Wiebrand

Superman
September 19th 2003, 17:35
I have never driven a Bug without a headliner but I have worked on a few and it echoes inside.

Racelook, do your best with your english and we'll help along. Believe me all of us here wish we could read german. I changed the subject for you.

Try these:
http://world.altavista.com/
http://www.freetranslation.com/

Sheppsan
September 20th 2003, 00:52
I ran a previous Super Beetle without a headliner for several years and it was OK. My current car has had the roof painted and the side channels filled and finshed. It is probably a little louder inside than normal, but it is reallly not bad. I may install a center headliner later, but I have no immediate plans of doing so. I agree with some others that it is a good look.

Sheppsan (1975Super)

zen
September 20th 2003, 17:03
racelook, stick your head in a metal trash can and hit the outside. you will then have the idea. OK, a little extreme, but you get the point.

you may also consider a mexican headliner. as i recall they only go from channel to channel. hopefully someone on here can validate that.

NO_H2O
September 20th 2003, 18:39
You could use a spray on sound damping, truck bedliner coating or undercoating on the inside. The trick to killing sound is to keep or stop the sheet metal from vibrating. A thick rubber type paint "should" do it. I don't know what the wieght change would be. My car gained some wieght when I put sound damping mat every place I could think to put it. But it is quiet inside now.

Racelook
September 21st 2003, 07:08
Originally posted by Sheppsan
My current car has had the roof painted and the side channels filled and finshed.
Sheppsan (1975Super)

What do you mean by filled channels???

Greetings Wiebrand

Sheppsan
September 21st 2003, 08:03
Racelook
By "channels" I meant the area of the roof on either side to which are fixed the interior light, grab handles, etc. I didn't know what else to call them. However, on my car we removed all fixtures except the interior light, filled all holes and then pained. If I get the chance I will take a picture and post it so you can see what I mean.

Regards, Sheppsan

Racelook
September 21st 2003, 17:36
Thanx Sheppsann

I know what you mean. I have done it by mine car already.

greetings WIebrand