PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!!!! Wiring nightmare

RLW6000
September 20th 2003, 16:30
Ihave a 71 SB and I stripped it of its original harness. I bought another kit (not VW) that has blade fuses and a complete harness. I have a lot of it wired up and now I'm stuck. The book for the kit shows a wire labled "selenoid power" as being a wire that goes to the battery. My hanes manual shows a wire running from the fuse box to the regulator and then to the battery. I hooked the wire labled selenoid power up to the regulator and from the regulator to the battery. Now, when I touch the hot cable to the battery it sparks like it has a dead short somewhere. I took all the fuses out of the box and tried it again and it still sparks. Any ideas or suggestions???? Thanks in advance, Randy

NO_H2O
September 20th 2003, 18:49
Soulds like you are going down the right road in your trouble shooting. You must keep disconnecting things untill you find the short. make a copy of the schematic and check off all the feeds that are disconnected with a pencil. Sounds like you only have the Hot Battery legs left to check. It is possible that you have a bad regulator or it is hooked up wrong, also check to see if you have any connecters touching the body(fuse box or Ign. switch, etc)