PDA

View Full Version : rust electroscam

craazy Cooter
September 30th 2003, 10:56
Come on! Don't be swindled so easily! Your car's chassis already has a negative charge applied to it. The electrical system doesn't stop rust. If this were true don't you think you wouldn't ever see anything rust again? When steel rusts, it is absorbing oxygen from the atmosphere. Rust is oxidized steel. Road salt accelerates this along with water. The water's oxygen molecules
penetrate the steel and achemical reaction happens. That is why
Por 15 and rustoleum, and other sealing products are so sucessful. If you want you can galvanize your car too.

Sandeep
September 30th 2003, 12:10
I thought that the rusting process causes a reaction (electrolysis) and I'm not sure which metal is the cathode (anode ?)

These electronic systems have a piece of metal (cathode, anode ?) that rusts instead of the actual metal on the car. I'm trying to remember back to high school chemistry but that was along time ago !

I'm sure someone with more knowledge on this matter will chime in.

Sandeep

CLKWRK
September 30th 2003, 14:17
howdy,
I am no expert in this matter, but I think you mean a "sacrificial metal" or a metal that is more willing to shed its electrons than steel. magneseum perhaps.

If i remember correctly, electrons travel from the anode (+) to the cathode (-), thus postively charging a chunk of magnesium engine case in your car would theoretically have the same effect as this electronic rust control.......am I right?

I dont think this would be effective as your only defense against rust, nothing beats keeping oxygen away by sealing it with some sort of coating.
Bry

Sandeep
September 30th 2003, 14:48
Yes, sacrificial metal is the term I was looking for.

I think its a great idea because it can protect in areas where you can't coat the metal (seams, ect)

I remember doing a lab on this in high school .. it was pretty neat.

Sandeep

zen
September 30th 2003, 15:11
i knew i should have smoked a little less herb before chemistry class. but then again, that is why i hang out with you guys. :silly: :D

i am just POR-15'ing everything. btw, the POR-20 on the header came out pretty well. time will tell how it holds up. a little off subject, but it is in the name of corrosion prevention.

Ron Roberts
September 30th 2003, 17:04
Think of your house water heater. It has a Cathode (?) rod in it to help prevent rust. (Even though the tanks are glass lined)

Ron