PDA

View Full Version : 911 trany same as Audi 5000?

63Rag
October 7th 2003, 02:17
Whats with the audi 5000 transmision being the same as the 901?
Per this web page: http://www.statikdesign.com/scratchbuilt/drivetrain/transmission.html#Anchor-Mar-58173

Can someone please clarify. Ive seen audi 5000's at the boneyard and I havent even looked at their set up till I saw above web page. I can scoop one up for about $60.00. Thanks for heads up guys.
Wolfy

Bugnutz
October 7th 2003, 08:23
Wolfy-

This sounds kinda interesting, but the page you referenced was talking about using the 5000S transmission in a mid-engine chassis, where the rotation of the engine and trans would be the same as in the front-wheel-drive setup on the Audi. Use of the transmission in a rear-engine setup would require "flipping" the ring and pinion (dune buggy-ese for moving the ring gear to the other side) to change the rotation of the axles so you would not have one speed forward and 5 in reverse.

If the trans case does not allow the R&P to be flipped, then there are reverse rotation cams available, but I have never seen a reverse rotation cooling fan!

This is a very interesting concept, but I don't know if it is anything more than a ghost story as far as it applies to a VW beetle. Still, I'll have to take a look at my own 5000S to see if this could work.

Maybe I'll end up with a camper with no engine and a shiftless Audi- Hey, what about a 5-cylinder sticking out the back of a Bus?

Thanks for the link.

Regards, Mark.

Shadowbug
October 9th 2003, 21:01
the audi 5000 tranny is not the same as a 901, or any tranny that graced a 911

the audi 5000 tranny is the same (identical in fact) as a porsche 944 tranny

very strong transaxles exelent for a mid engined setup.