PDA

View Full Version : Why?

kenfyoozed
October 8th 2003, 10:54
why does one need a porsche tranny? is it just for the 5th gear? would a well built type 1 tranny do as well as a porsche?

i would like a porsche tranny but i need convensing that its worth it.

so who has? pros? cons?

neil

Supa Ninja
October 8th 2003, 11:25
My experience is with my 14. Weights 2139lbs, has a 2.0L Type IV, and I do a lot of driving on the freeway. Here's the kicker, if it's under a 100 F, I can get in the fast lane and cruise all day long at 80-90mph and I don't over heat. My experience with T1/VW tranny 1302 is on a hot day I'm in the slow lane tring to keep my engine cool, and also I'm turning a lot of rpms. Now I'm building my 1302 for road racing and I'll need taller gears, plus it's a 5 speed.
I have also read several times on here that the 901's can handle up to 300 hp's so it should be strong enough for my uses.
Plus the conversion seems simple enough.
One question, can you get a bug over 120mph with less than 100hp's using a stock VW gear box? My 14 has.

Nick

Sandeep
October 8th 2003, 14:43
I've had my bug up to about 185-190 kph (2.0 914 engine) with stock 4 speed. My engine was screaming at 5800 rpm.

If we had no speed limits here, it would have been nice to shift into 5th gear and cruise at that speed.

Alot of people go for the 5 speed so they can have 4 really close gears for racing and shift into 5th to cruise on the highway at 80 mph.

You can build a 4 speed with 3 close ratio gears and 4th would be the tall gear for cruising.

If you are just driving on the street with some highway use, use the 4 speed and get a 3.875 R/P.

If you are road racing, get a 5 speed with proper gearing.

Have you ever played Gran turismo 3 on playstation ? Its amazing how fast you can get a car going by playing around with the gearing.

Wow .. that was a broken up post now that I read it again :eek:

Sandeep

SteveStromberg
October 20th 2003, 22:25
They will handle 300 + Hp but it takes a few simple mods. Steve

www.ottosvenice.com