PDA

View Full Version : Fitments for my Ghia Coupe

DORIGTT
July 25th 2002, 22:28
Which offsets should I use on my 1970 Ghia Coupe? I plan to use 944T brakes front and rear and would like to use 17x7 front and 17x8 rear. I know I have to 'slightly' modify/roll my fender lips in the rear so that's no problem.

Oliver Knuf
July 26th 2002, 10:48
8" on the rear??

You have to slightly roll a Ghia with normal 8-spokes in the rear (I had that a few weeks ago with 5,5x15 with an offset of (German measuring ET) 40mm), 8" is a horror. Make your rear smaller, no, bad solution. Weld on a bit to the fender lips... ???!!?!! Also bad...

DORIGTT
July 26th 2002, 17:39
Oliver,

I've got a series of pics of Ghias with obviously stock bodywork and Porsche Cup II wheels on them as well as Porsche brake systems.

How can I send you some pics for you to look at

Mr.Elect.Wizard
May 9th 2003, 09:54
This is a subject that is void like a black hole... Obviously some people have done this, as DORIGTT and I have seen. Anybody had time to look more into this or fit some cool combos over the last year?

Post what ya got...

vujade
May 9th 2003, 10:12
my guess is they have narrowed the trailing arms if they havent widened the fenders.

You may be able to run 7" wide rims with a 55et offset and a small spacer, but I bet you would still have to roll the fender lip.

If you want 8" wide wheels you will definitely need to narrow the rear or widen the fenders.

Mr.Elect.Wizard
May 9th 2003, 12:28
Narrowing the front is fairly straight forward... But do you know how narrow you can go without removing the shock towers?

And, how do you narrow the trailing arms? Cut and remove metal?

vujade
May 9th 2003, 12:34
I believe you can go with 1.5" per side of narrowing on the front without removing the towers.

I believe there may be a tech article for narrowing the rear trailing arms.

Mr.Elect.Wizard
May 9th 2003, 12:58
tech article here?

Mr.Elect.Wizard
May 9th 2003, 12:59
never mind... found it... thanx...

blackdoggriffon
December 8th 2005, 23:16
Oliver,

I've got a series of pics of Ghias with obviously stock bodywork and Porsche Cup II wheels on them as well as Porsche brake systems.

How can I send you some pics for you to look at

Could you please send me those pics? I am thinking of fitting Cup II wheels to my 1960 vert.

Mikey
December 8th 2005, 23:38
I think the Cup II's are popular with Ghias. :laugh:

I'm putting a set on of Cup II's on my Ghia now. I've got a whole set of 17" x 7's ET55. They all fit good. I'm going to try to stuff either a 9" rear or a pair of 8". I won't know what will be required untill I get the wheels. I've got a 2in narrowed/adjustable beam and drop spindles. I'm thinking of .5" spacers on each side to move the wheels back out. Since they hit the inner fenders bad. (I have pictures, but they're too big to post. :( )

70Ghia
December 10th 2005, 12:08
Mike,

Here are some pics of my Cup II's, they are stock 17 x 7 boxsters. I tried giving you some idea of the space.

Chris

Mikey
December 10th 2005, 12:33
Thanks for the pictures, your Ghia looks Awesome. :righton:

It looks like a lot of room on the inside, but I'll probably run into the spring plate before I hit the inner fender. And if I decide to run Porsche brakes, I'll have to either narrow my trailing arms or buy some. (If I can't narrow them enough.) I measured my Ghia too. That's why I think I can fit 9's in the back. For them Not to fit, they'd have to hit both the spring plate and the fender lip. If they don't hit both at the same time, you can get the wheels moved in or out to make them fit the wheel well. It would be a lot easier to move the wheel out (spacer) than it would be to move the wheel in, but it can be done.

Is any of this making sence? I'm no expert. :rolleyes:

*I forgot to mention, I'm building a '64 Ghia, which has lower rear arches than the late model Ghias. So the rear will look lower and MIGHT have more room. That's just a guess.

Mikey
December 11th 2005, 22:48
Finaly, I figured out how to resize. :rolleyes: The first 2 of my front after I put in a 2in narrowed beam, drop spindles, and adjusters. This is the lowest it'll go, I'll raise it up an inch or 2 for final ride height.

The last 3 are after I put the rear wheel on today. I think it looks good, and I have no clue what possesed me into thinking a 9" would fit. A 9" rim with no tire maybe. The inside will hold a 9" wide wheel, but you run into the spring plate, then the shock tower. A narrowed rear tortion would fix that. But that's almost too much for a 2inch wider rim. :laugh: 10"s maybe?... Either way. This is what I have right now. The back will settle a little more and I'll lower it more too.

What you guys think?

70Ghia
December 12th 2005, 00:28
looking good Mike,

I started out with drop spindles on mine too but the MBT brakes didn’t really look or sit right on the caliper, so I went back to the stock ones and a adjustable beam. I also installed a 1/2" spacer to bring the wheels out more.

The rears I would leave alone, you know your going to get the urge to throw that GL Ghia into the corners and have fun :D, got to have some room for tire movement.

If your looking for some hard to find parts, let me know I have sources here.

Chris

DORIGTT
February 17th 2006, 14:37
A 9" rim with no tire maybe. The inside will hold a 9" wide wheel, but you run into the spring plate, then the shock tower. A narrowed rear tortion would fix that. But that's almost too much for a 2inch wider rim.

So are you saying that if the spring plate was thinner (or bowed for clearance), and the shock tower were shortened, that the 9" would fit in your opinion?

Mikey
February 17th 2006, 23:48
So are you saying that if the spring plate was thinner (or bowed for clearance), and the shock tower were shortened, that the 9" would fit in your opinion?

I don't think you could get that thin of a spring plate. or bow it almost 2 inches.

hmmm.... You'd have to basicly take an inch or two out of the rear torsion housing. (just like narrowing a front beam.) In effect it'll move the spring plate/shocktower closer to the tranny. With that you're looking at either adapting stock vw torsion bars, a custom torsion bars, or coil overs. Then, and probably only then, would you be able to fit a 9" rear wheel with no body mods. There is plenty of room from the wheel to the shock tower in the original position, but it'll be almost impossible or too much work to move the spring plate and not move the shock tower.

If I had more skill in shaping metal I'd just widen the rear fenders, and put a set of 9" in the back. But then again, I'd widen the front too so I can use a stock beam. :rolleyes:

hpw
January 6th 2008, 09:38
Finaly, I figured out how to resize. :rolleyes: The first 2 of my front after I put in a 2in narrowed beam, drop spindles, and adjusters. This is the lowest it'll go, I'll raise it up an inch or 2 for final ride height.

The last 3 are after I put the rear wheel on today. I think it looks good, and I have no clue what possesed me into thinking a 9" would fit. A 9" rim with no tire maybe. The inside will hold a 9" wide wheel, but you run into the spring plate, then the shock tower. A narrowed rear tortion would fix that. But that's almost too much for a 2inch wider rim. :laugh: 10"s maybe?... Either way. This is what I have right now. The back will settle a little more and I'll lower it more too.

What you guys think?

Mikey, new to this forum, usually post on the samba, but I was wondering

if you had any updates on your car?

flat_iv
February 21st 2008, 23:17
http://webpages.charter.net/flat_iv/Lowered/ghia%20lowered%20003.jpg
http://webpages.charter.net/flat_iv/Lowered/ghia%20lowered%20005.jpg
http://webpages.charter.net/flat_iv/Lowered/ghia%20lowered%20006.jpg

16x6 1/2 wheels 205/45/16 tires on the front and 205/50/16 on the rear. Dropped Spindles and 1 spline lowered in the rear. The offset on the wheels are 46ET. No wheel spacers on the front and 5/16 spacer on the rear. Carefull on the tire cross sections. All tires are not created equal. For example I found some 205's that had a cross section from 7.8 to 8.4. Doesnt sound like much on a normal car but on a Ghia its a mile....

vwdevotee
February 22nd 2008, 12:14

16x6 1/2 wheels 205/45/16 tires on the front and 205/50/16 on the rear. Dropped Spindles and 1 spline lowered in the rear. The offset on the wheels are 46ET. No wheel spacers on the front and 5/16 spacer on the rear. Carefull on the tire cross sections. All tires are not created equal. For example I found some 205's that had a cross section from 7.8 to 8.4. Doesnt sound like much on a normal car but on a Ghia its a mile....

Sweet ride. What wheels are those?

vwdevotee
February 22nd 2008, 12:16
I'm eyeing 8 inch wides on my rear also ('73 Ghia). Any news? I measured from teh outside of my current tires (EMPI 8 spokes, very close to the fender) to the spring plate and got 10 inches. I also measured at the top to the inner fender and got 11 inches. It looks like everything will fit, I just want to hear from someone who has done it before I drop 2500USD on wheels and tires.

DORIGTT
February 22nd 2008, 13:51
Hey flatIV,

What brand and model tire are you using? I would like to research the specs (physical dimensions).

What are you using for rotor/drums to attach those wheels/rotors?

vwbao
March 28th 2008, 17:48

hi, is it narrowed beam? does it rub?thanks

vwdevotee
September 5th 2008, 00:39
No updates?

brujo65
September 6th 2008, 14:47

this is my 74 with custom Forgeline 7 1/2 front and 9 rear with out any
flares

vwdevotee
September 6th 2008, 14:53
What are the specs on the wheels? 17s, 18s? What offset? What suspension parts are you using? What mods do they have?

brujo65
September 6th 2008, 15:12
the wheels 17 with custom offset to fit the body and 944 steel control
arms with 944 turbo brake front and rear and suby 2.0 RA turbo engine and
coil over front / rear

ricola
September 6th 2008, 15:20
the wheels 17 with custom offset to fit the body and 944 steel control
arms with 944 turbo brake front and rear and suby 2.0 RA turbo engine and
coil over front / rear

Nice! I'd love to see some more pics of the car/build...
Rich

vwbloodline
September 6th 2008, 20:01
Nice! I'd love to see some more pics of the car/build...
Rich

x2 :music4:

vwdevotee
September 6th 2008, 20:05
What offset did you end up needing?

brujo65
September 6th 2008, 22:09
let me ck my notes and I will let you know and I will
post more pictures

vwbloodline
September 16th 2008, 18:40
It says your in Dayton, Ohio. I am north of dayton and was wondering if we could get together sometime and I could look at your Ghia? I am in the process of building a Ghia myself. Thanks

brujo65
September 16th 2008, 22:20
sure my shop is locate at 4796 south dixie dr dayton ohio 45439
the phone at the shop 937-2942400

vwbloodline
September 17th 2008, 10:13
Awesome, I will be getting a hold of you as soon as I can free my schedule.