PDA

View Full Version : 914 motor + tranny

Humble
October 14th 2003, 20:34
I Recently picked up a 74 (i think) 914 motor and tranny. The motor is an ec case (CA model) which i'll build up, and the guy threw in the tranny to boot! The #'s on the tranny are 914.301.101.00, and i can't seem to find any info on it. I'm not sure if I can use it or not, so I'm trying to find any info i can.

ajracer
October 14th 2003, 21:47
From the info I have on record the engine appears to be a 1.7L
porsche 914, and the tranny would also appear to match the
engine. I also picked up the same engine and tranny combo
a month or so ago, however I bought mine as a 2.0L and thus
the shop has agreed to switch for the 2.0L as soon as one
returns from his engine rebuilder.

It should be a good working unit once installed; lots of info on
this forum and the STF sites. All the best !

Humble
October 15th 2003, 19:35
what needs to be done to set this tranny up to work in the beetle? i thought i read somewhere you have to switch the nose cone and gear selector for 911 parts but i can't seem to find it again.

kdanie
October 17th 2003, 12:01
If the transmission is a "side shift" it requires a lot of work to change over and is more valuable to 914 owners that want an upgrade. If it is a "tail shift" model you need to shift the ring gear to the opposite side of the pinion so you have 5 fwd gears and 1 reverse gear, if you don't shift the ring rear you will have 5 reverse gears. The nose cone and related parts need changed out to 911 pieces, these can be hard to come by.

Spend some time going back through the old posts, this has been discussed several times.
ken