PDA

View Full Version : Porsche seat mount brackets... is this strong enough?

super vw
November 2nd 2003, 19:58
I just made a seat mount for my 74 super that consists of 1/8" 1/1 angle and 1/1" square tubeing(tubing is about 16-20 guage), the 1/1" angle is welded in a box configuration so the seat tracks on the porsche 911 will rest on top of them, then there are 1/1" square tube legs coming off of the angle steel to the floor, at the floor the legs have 3/16 thick 3/2" plates welded to them that i planed to use as mounting plates/tabs to bolt to the floor, then stick another 3/2" plate on the other side of the floor pan to sandwich it together... is this going to be stong you think? i dont want the seats pulling out the floor:o!

Any opinions would be cool!
-Jonathan:silly:

Bullyboy
November 3rd 2003, 21:39
Why not use the super seat tracks? I put 82 scirocco sport seats in our 73 super and built the seat support to use the tracks. I have pics if you would like to see.

super vw
November 4th 2003, 00:56
I thought of that, but it wasent going to work with the porsche seats to well, and i wanted to keep my original seat tracks, and seats in order just in case for some resson i wanted to go back to stock seats (like if i sold the car for a better one).

I got it all bolted down, it works great ecept the fact that the floor pans are so thin and weak and that makes for some flexing and such. So what im going to do it make two braces on the side of the rear legs that go out horizontaly to the original seat tracks and there i will make a little tab mounted to the bar coming from the seat leg to keep the seats from coming up and down from the flexing of the pan.

I would love to see some pics of your seat mod!

Later
Jonathan

Bullyboy
November 5th 2003, 12:34
We used 5/8" bar and 1/4" plate. the stock seat tracks were used and the stock scirocco seat glides work in the tracks. just had to make up for the seat height difference. They will get powdercoated when we recover the seats.

super vw
November 5th 2003, 19:54
Yeah, Porsche seats dont mount like that. they have sliders that bolt directly to the chassis (Well kinda) on a 911 and so forth. So its kinda hard to mount them with the huge center hump in the way aswell as height problems, Porsche seats would be to low if mounted directly or close to the chassis, they need to be raised a good 5-8 inches.

So well i figured out my problem, i re did the legs to mount both on the floor pan and also slip into the original seat tracks, the original seat tracks are way more solid than having it mount just on the floor board. i will try and get a few pics if i can find my digital camera.

BTW Thanks for the pic ;)

Jonathan

Bullyboy
November 6th 2003, 12:16
I figured they would be different, I just thought you would like to see how I did it. The seats sure feel better than the sproingy old ones:D But we can still put them back in any time too.

super vw
November 26th 2003, 03:20
me got's some pics... who wants to take a look? :D

super vw
November 26th 2003, 03:21
front mouting tab

super vw
November 26th 2003, 03:22
rear mounting tabs that hook into the stock seat rails.

super vw
November 26th 2003, 03:25
more pics..

super vw
November 26th 2003, 03:28
interior shot from the right..

hybrid_john
November 26th 2003, 04:55
WOW! Super that looks really nice and clean.

Are you gonna build, or make some side skirts to pretty-it-up a bit? If you are what kinda materials are you gonna use?
Ever though about carbon fiber?

John

super vw
November 26th 2003, 11:30
i have thought about it, i still might make some simple side skirts but not sure if they are needed, i will see once i get the carpeting in (yes im going with black carpet, its just more comfortable and looks clean... i can mind the extra weight) :)

hybrid_john
November 27th 2003, 06:54
your not the only one thats going with carpet, I am too, I am also going to install a complete audio system ( light-weight componants, of coarse) I might of already found the perfect sub-woofer for the jod, Elemantal Designs is the manufacturer of the sud and they post the weight of it in a magazine...

Good Luck man, ever need any insperation just let me know!:D