PDA

View Full Version : Tranny mount question

Rob
November 3rd 2003, 17:16
The front transmission mount on my 1970 Beetle (Standard) has 2 bolts.
The Urethane kit I have also came with 2 bolts for the front mount.
However, it seems that the original bolts are welded or clamped in place.

Has anybody been successful in removing these original bolts ?
I don't want to start whacking them with a hammer only to discover that I can't remove them.

Thanks,

Rob.

Sandeep
November 3rd 2003, 18:18
Looks like we're working on the same problem !

My pan is a '74 but when I blew up the original tranny, the local VW shop put in a '72 tranny. I think they welded in some of the bolts and I can't get the front tranny mount off :mad: :toilet:

Looks like I may be breaking out the grinder but I have to get a really close look at it. Maybe I can look at Alex's pan at the next meet to figure this out ???? :confused: :confused:

Sandeep

Rob
November 3rd 2003, 19:17
Hey Sandeep,

I am able to get out the mount, but it's the bolts I'm worried about.

I had to shift the tranny back about 1-2 Inch, in order to get the mount out though....

Rob.

zen
November 3rd 2003, 22:04
word of warning on a similar issue. i am guessing sandeep did not have this issue during install, but i bought stock german rubber tranny mounts and found out the hard way (a few trial fits before finding the issue) that the studs were too long and interfered with the flywheel. anything more than 2-2.5 threads rubs. check it during your install.

Jogyver
November 13th 2003, 08:17
I am restoring my vw pan. I noticed that one of the trans mounting bolts on the pan is broken off. Any tips for replacement?

Joe

Rob
November 13th 2003, 09:03
Joe,

You mean the ones in front ot the tranny, right ?
I tried to remove mine, but I ended up reusing them.
The urethane kit I have came with new bolts.

Did the bolt actually break, or did it come out ?
I guess you could try whacking it with a hammer and see if it comes out. Otherwise you probably have to drill it out...

HTH

Rob.

Jogyver
November 13th 2003, 15:25
These bolts are vertical and located in front of the trans. I cant see an access post to install a new one. They might be welded in place. The bolt inquestion is snapped off.

Rob
November 13th 2003, 15:43
Yep, those are the ones....

I wanted to replace them, but couldn't get them out.
I didn't want to apply too much force since I wasn't sure if I could get them out, so I wanted to make sure the thread stayed ok...

In your case, since the bolt is already busted, I would try whacking it with a hammer, just make sure you don't bent the mounting plate. Otherwise I'm affraid you will have to drill them out :(

Rob.

Jogyver
November 17th 2003, 19:36
I fixed it. I had to cut off the old trans mount ,fab up a new one and weld it back into place. The old mount bolts were welded in place. There was no way they were going to come out even with drilling.

Joe