PDA

View Full Version : Porsche 914, 911 and other guage question

super vw
November 4th 2003, 19:07
Alrighty...My goal for my 74 super is to transform it into a German looker built to auto cross, at the moment its all stock other than Porsche 911 seats, 16" porsche Fuchs (not mounted), and a porsche 3 spoke wheel. all the wiring is messed up (though the engine runs) and im planing on updating the whole harness with a Watsons streetworks harness for VW's. I think i might go with a turbo aswell. for the interior i wanted to go for some more modern guages and was plaing on getting a VW innovations fiberglass dash to stick them in. I will NEED a tach, speedo and fuel guages for sure, and would like to also have a oil(or head) temp guage and a boost guage if i do go with a turbo. so my Question is, Porsche 911, 914 or other guages? i would like to have some 911 guages but i was thinking 914 due to it being a 4 cyl and the fact that i might be able to get some from a guy down the raod, he has a few 914's in his back yard that are not running so maybe i can grab a set off him. Also what would i be looking at paying for a set of 914 or 911 guages? and how do i make them work? i know i should at least get a set to see how they hook up but its worth a try to ask here

Thanks!
Any opinions are welcome!
-Jonathan

Sandeep
November 5th 2003, 09:56
I have the 914 speedo, tach and fuel gauge .. got them in excellent condition off of EBay for $40 USD. All have black buttons, not the chrome ones.

I have vdo CHT, OIL Temp and Pressure gauges. They match the 914 stuff greatly.

The gauges were easy to hook up, including the 914 stuff.

Sandeep

Supa Ninja
November 6th 2003, 01:07
If you want a more modern looking guage cluster check out the 83-84 944 guages. The problem with the 911/914 speedo is it won't work unless you're running a 901 gear box, as opposed to the 944 speedo which is operated identically to the VW.

SNN

super vw
November 6th 2003, 01:21
so a 914 speedo wont work on a 74 super becuase of the trans? how is this? I thought that the speedo cable hooked up the the front hub, not the tranny(My Audi 4000 hooks up to the trans though)

So whats the deal?

Sandeep
November 6th 2003, 09:14
My 914 speedo hooks right up to my standard beetle cable. I've read that the speedo might be off by about 10 % using this method, buy my front tires are about 10% smaller in diameter so it should work out.

I don't look at my speedo anyways ... just drive as fast as everyone else is driving ... :D

Sandeep

super vw
November 6th 2003, 11:07
ok, but standard and super cables should be the same, correct?

Sandeep
November 6th 2003, 12:02
They should be the same ... Might want to check a supplier to be sure .. I'm pretty sure standards and supers used the same stock speedo.

Sandeep