PDA

View Full Version : 1303 dash.. the whole deal

super vw
November 5th 2003, 01:43
So what do you guys think about the VW innovations (now called glass action i think) unique dash for super beetles? i was thinking about this becuase it can be had here in the states, but would rather like a Porsche 911 style dash but so far i have no clue on how to get ahold of one here. any one have opinions on dash options for a 1303?

Pics of things you have done or pics of other cars with non stock dashes would be cool, just to get ideas

Later
Jonathan:)

super vw
November 18th 2003, 00:33
Found a 911 style dash, soon to be carbon... stay tuned ;)

Racelook
November 18th 2003, 07:52
You can buy 911-style dashboards bij CSP, Kerscher ... the carbon fiber ones only from Remmele (so far I know but).

I have an fiberglass one for mine project.

Greetings Wiebrand

SilverBullet
November 18th 2003, 13:06
So far its for lhd cars only! Does anyone do it for rhd cars?

super vw
December 2nd 2003, 00:56
pics!

super vw
December 2nd 2003, 01:01
more

super vw
December 2nd 2003, 01:05
another

boygenius
December 2nd 2003, 20:58
Does anyone make a 911 dash kit for standard beetles.:confused:

super vw
December 2nd 2003, 22:12
yeah, CSP does i think. but to me it looks kinda funny since its just a cover over the stock flat dash panel. but you might like it so check it out.

boygenius
December 2nd 2003, 22:29
Thanx I'll check it out.:D

jps
January 20th 2004, 18:13
does anyone know if there is a source in the US for a 914 style dash? I've seen pic's and I think it fits the super beetle better than the 911 look, (my opinion)?

thanks!

john

volksdragon
January 20th 2004, 18:26
i stripped the whole original dash and glassed over the bare steel.
looks cool and there's a place to set things now.

there's alittle surface rust from sitting in the garage since last winter but it will be finished by this spring... i hope :D
picks below

barbe
January 27th 2004, 04:43
http://www.csp-shop.de

interior/interior/bug/Dash Covers

trevorbrady
January 27th 2004, 05:27
do these 911 style dashes simply fit over the 1303 stock steel dash?
Do you have to cut down the raised binnacle for the stock gauge to get it in?
I've been thinking of something like this for my '03, but mine's RHD, so it'll be a DIY job!!

super vw
January 27th 2004, 12:37
do these 911 style dashes simply fit over the 1303 stock steel dash?
Do you have to cut down the raised binnacle for the stock gauge to get it in?
I've been thinking of something like this for my '03, but mine's RHD, so it'll be a DIY job!!

They ARE the dash, not a cover. at least on the 1303's, now i have seen some for the metal flat dashed beetles and they cover over the existing dash.

trevorbrady
January 27th 2004, 12:58
They ARE the dash, not a cover. at least on the 1303's, now i have seen some for the metal flat dashed beetles and they cover over the existing dash.

so to fit this GRP or CF 911 style dash, you have to cut out the original steel dash in its entirety?
Is the dash not kinda structural in beetles? I would have thought that some kind of rigidity would be lost by cutting it all away below the windscreen and above yer knees...

Am I wrong?? :confused:

super vw
January 27th 2004, 15:50
Well, looking at your signature i noticed you stated you have a 72 1303... i dont think they make such a thing. the 1303 started in 1973 with the curved windows.
Do you have a flat window or a curved one? if its a flat window super you have a "1302" a curved window is a "1303"

You dont have to do any cuting of the stock dash. stanadard or not.

Racelook
January 27th 2004, 16:12

Yep this is true.

I have a 911-style dashboard for mine bug (not installed yet) it isn't a cover it just the dash.

Wiebrand

Racelook
January 27th 2004, 16:18
so to fit this GRP or CF 911 style dash, you have to cut out the original steel dash in its entirety?
You'r sure that you are talking about an 1303.. they don't got a steel dash!! You just kick out that really boring "safety" dash and put in the new one!!

Wiebrand

barbe
January 27th 2004, 16:53
Wonderful if cover.Yo is not one I have 1303's, where it has seen that something to escarabajos[kafer ] that covers on the existing spraying. Where I can find this to tablier? :D :D :D

trevorbrady
January 28th 2004, 05:01
I have a 1303 (complete with curved windscreen :D). It's a bit of an anomaly, it's got later 2-bolt front struts and later 3-point seats but is on a '72 registration. It has had some resto work done in the past (by previous owners, I'm the 8th!) so it may have had a body/chassis swap at some stage. Check my site for pics etc... (www.geocities.com/veewrx)

I saw a pic in Kieth Seume's "new custom handbook" of a bright green 1303 with a painted steel dash (i.e. looked like the rubber "safety" dash had been removed from the steelwork.) this is why I presumed the 1303 had a steel structure going on under the rubber moulding.

I'm still confused though. To fit one of these 911 style dasboards, do you remove the rubber safety padding from the 1303 (curved screen) and fit the 911 one in its place, or do you fire up the grinder and cut away the steel sub structure? This is why I ask, because the '03 has a raised binnacle for the gauge, and I also presumed that it would have been steel. It looks like this might interfere with one of those 911 style dashboards.

super vw
January 28th 2004, 12:41
I have a 1303 (complete with curved windscreen :D). It's a bit of an anomaly, it's got later 2-bolt front struts and later 3-point seats but is on a '72 registration. It has had some resto work done in the past (by previous owners, I'm the 8th!) so it may have had a body/chassis swap at some stage. Check my site for pics etc... (www.geocities.com/veewrx)

I saw a pic in Kieth Seume's "new custom handbook" of a bright green 1303 with a painted steel dash (i.e. looked like the rubber "safety" dash had been removed from the steelwork.) this is why I presumed the 1303 had a steel structure going on under the rubber moulding.

I'm still confused though. To fit one of these 911 style dasboards, do you remove the rubber safety padding from the 1303 (curved screen) and fit the 911 one in its place, or do you fire up the grinder and cut away the steel sub structure? This is why I ask, because the '03 has a raised binnacle for the gauge, and I also presumed that it would have been steel. It looks like this might interfere with one of those 911 style dashboards.

LOL, well like we said, the 911 style dash replaces the existing dash. You dont NOT need to strip the stock dash to metal, you simply un bolt it and take some part off (go to superbeetlesonly.com on how to do this, its in there tech section).
The beetle you saw in the book ( i had that book, dont know what happened to it though) had its STOCK dash striped of all foam and plastic and was smoothed out and repainted. i have seen a few people do this, but its hard work and takes some time to do it right. I striped mine down to metal before i got my 911 style dash, i was going to graph in a 914 gauge pod, but that project ended once i found a 911 dash for cheap.