PDA

View Full Version : 993 wheels on a 67 bug

some vw owner
September 3rd 2002, 19:38
I have found a set of 16" 7 & 9" factory wheels from a 993. They will fit 944 from 87 on. Would I be able to fit these on a 67 bug, I'm willing to go with fat fenders. I have irs and my drums have been drilled for the Porsche pattern. All I need to know is what the back spacing would work or even a spacer.

Sandeep
September 4th 2002, 09:18
For the rear:

I believe those rear wheels are ET70mm. Thats going to be a BIG spacer. I have a 74 standard with IRs and here's some measurements that I took:

From the drum face to the springplate the distance is 6 1/2 " so you're going to need a wheel with a max backspacing of 6 to 6 1/4" if you are not going to use a spacer.

The 9" 993 wheel has a backspacing of 7.75" (Measure the width of the whole wheel and you'll find its 10" wide). So you'll need a 1.5" spacer just to get it off the springplate....thats alota spaca...

That leaves the outside face of the wheel 3.75" out drom the brake drum face.....the measurement I have is 2 3/8" from the drum face to the outside of the stock fender so you're looking at a fender thats about 1.5" wider...

So to summerize....you can do it but need a spacer and 1.5" to 2" wider fenders. This applies to all 9" wheels. If you go with a smaller offset (ET55mm or ET47mm) your spacer will be less thick but you still need the wider fenders.

I am not sure of the offset of the front but I'm sure some more members of the community will add their own comments as well.

Sandeep

bren
September 4th 2002, 10:13
if the offset of the fronts is ET52 then youll need a spacer approx 12mm wide.. if its ET55 however, youll need a 15mm spacer.. either way, pretty thin..

some vw owner
September 8th 2002, 02:16
So is running a two-inch spacer safe? One reason I want big wheels is to fill some really wide fenders, so my only worry would be the two-inch spacer. Does a $1000 (CAN) sound like a decent deal for a set of these wheels? Does any one wont a set of 16 inch Fuchs, 16x7 16x8; the money would help me get the new ones. Is any one else running a set of these wheels, if so do you have any pics?

vujade
September 8th 2002, 09:42
Bren, so essentially then I wheel with ET40 would not need any spacer then based on your finding of 52 needing a 12mm & 55 needing a 15mm spacer?

bren
September 11th 2002, 07:08
basically yes! ive found that ET40 up front and ET30 at the rear suits a balljoint/swingaxle bug perfectly.