PDA

View Full Version : Original dash

cormac163
November 11th 2003, 17:42
Does anyone have a modified original dash or know anyone who is doing it i was thinking of taking an angle grinder to mine and making the gauge bay a bit longer to hold tachometer speedo and two others such as temp and fuel.
Surely It isnt that hard to take the original out altogether and mod it or am i completely bananas??!!

kenfyoozed
November 11th 2003, 19:56
are you speaking of the metal dash? or the padded dash type in the later years? ive seen inserts for the later years that go around the speedo to house extra gauges. is this what your looking for?

neil

cormac163
November 12th 2003, 15:51
Sorry Neil I forgot to add that it is the Super Beetle dash, you know the padded dash with the one recess for the speedo.

Cormac

kenfyoozed
November 12th 2003, 18:04
sorry, but i am not familiar with the supers. i have a 72 std. i have never owned a super, so i miss out on a lot of tech stuff aound here. but if you do decide to go out on a limb and try something custom, for all of us, please take pics and write a small tech article so the rest of us can learn along with you.

sorry, but thats all i have to offer.

neil

cormac163
November 12th 2003, 19:15
no bother and thanks for the reply.
I have a 77 standard also it is one of the 300 Last Edition standards and I am getting a few things done to it. Any work being done on the dash and I'll post some pics as it has one of the electric air blowers fitted from factory I think it will be pretty interesting. I am thinking of keeping it standard though as I have spent a whole heap of money getting the standard up to GL standard so farI dont really have the cash to mod it much and being one of the last 300 I think it will hold its value.

cormac

3MCRacing
December 19th 2003, 22:21
I have a 74 super and i rmoved the dash striped all the padding off of it and was ging to reinstall it but decided against it are you still doing this project or have you done it already. let me know how its turned out?

cormac163
December 20th 2003, 07:02
I have cut the dash board around the gauge and have got it down to metal.
I am going to get a piece of steel and cut out a gauge holder something like this oOOo and weld it on.
I will post some photos
cormac